Cant find a mask that fits!!! What about a FFM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Purge valve as stated above.

A mask that fits perfect at the dive shop with no regulator in your mouth may not be the same in the water. The regulator mouthpiece can deform your upper lip and mess with the mask seal. Might try a smaller mouth piece I personally use the comfort bite mouthpieces from Aqua Lung or Apeks. I just learned to live with some water in my mask some days are better than others and now I purge without thinking about it. I think I went through 8-10 masks until I found the one that leaks the least and then bought three of them. Personally I don't like the FFM's they are too confining for me and the com part doesn't interest me as diving is where I can get away from phone calls, emails and talking!

My best-fitting diving mask remains the high-volume Typhoon Super Star my parents gave me as a Christmas present back in the late 1950s. Its leaktightness is due to the generous margin of the skirt resting on, and sealing to, the face, as shown in the period illustration below:
upload_2021-7-30_19-23-13.png

Very few of today's low-volume models seem to come with skirt edges capable of being similarly "unrolled" on to the face to achieve a perfect seal.:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom