Can't figure out how to turn it off??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maximillion

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, call me silly, but I just bought an Oceanic VEO 100, and while sitting in the den just going over it and getting ready to take it out for a test dive - I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn it OFF! The manual alludes to the fact that after 2 hrs, it will turn itself off - but that can't possibly be the ONLY avenue for turning this thing off, can it?? Is there not an "OFF" sequence I can go through on the button? I mean, to leave it running through a "surface sequence" (which is annoying, by the way) has to use up battery power, and to do so for 2 hrs without need seems silly. Is this some built in way to get divers to buy batteries faster than needed?

Am I missing something? Somehow my Masters Degree in Aeronautical Science just isn't paying off on this one!!!

THanks for anyone who can answer this mystery!

Maximillion:shakehead:

Its is designed to be idiot proof - as far as I know there is no way to manually shut it down. Even when it turns "off" in 2 hours it is still active, just like a watch. Don't worry, if it is not in dive mode the power use is minimal, just think of how long a wrist watch runs on a tiny battery.

Sorry Max I know it does not make since intuitively but the computer does not turn off. It shuts itself off after 2 hours from the last button pushed but that is all. After a dive, my Oceanic counts down my fly time and then shuts off (24 hours). I have had the computer since January but just started diving weekends since the end of April and the battery is still at full charge so I am going to guess that the computer does not use a lot of juice or the battery is high capacity. My friend has the same computer as me and he says the battery has lasted him the two years that he has had the computer so far.

By the way, I am glad that my computer does not shut off by any action of my own. If I were getting ready to dive and somehow turned it off before I got in the water, I would be concerned if 10 minutes into the dive and I had no computer to give me air pressure or depth.

I have 2 Veo 180NX's and I never really bother to turn them off, even if I knew how to. Mine shut down after as you said 2 hours. I have replaced the batteries once in the 1.5 years I have owned them. Do sweat it. I really like the Veo's, I own a Manta also, and figure out how to setup the dives and do dive planing on it is a chore. Enjoy the Veo and don't sweat the battery, you can change it yourself.

Joe

I got two years out of a set of batteries on my veo 180,and like said it shuts itself down. Good computer it does all I need.

OUTSTANDING! I guess I wasn't as knuckleheaded as I was beginning to think, then! Good to know it's "idiot proof" and that with the water activation on, it will turn itself "on" too! I'll stop worrying about the batteries thena nd probably carry a spare set beginning in a year or so just to have when they do go south.

Thanks all for your thoughtful comments, as always! I do enjoy this forum!!

Maximillion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom