Can’t breathe !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a diver who dislikes the surface here's my thoughts.

With a bcd we can float with battle no effort. Easier to catch our breath floating than hanging on to the side of the pool.

Is it possible you could trust your bcd more when you surface and keep calm.

Provided the bcd isn't too tight when inflated and it's squeezing your lungs?

Cameron
I am a very good swimmer and feel comfortable in the water , I probably could lose about 25 pounds of body fat but I am active not a couch potato ! My first 2 pool dives I had no problems at all , the last 2 we were doing a lot of different skills and I’m having some problems with neutral buoyancy so I’m sure I’m exerting more effort than I need to ! I will try a size larger wetsuit this Thursday before I do my OW this weekend !! Thanks everyone for the great input !!

Your BCD or wetsuit is probably too tight. That or it's all in your head and you're thinking about it too much. I sometimes feel like it's hard to get a full breath when I consciously think about breathing.

Have you had a professional stress test? If not, I'd secure one asap.

It could also just be comfort related. You were fine in the pool, then 2 skills dives not so fine. I would suggest you just take it easy, run your skills as calmly as possible (good trait to have), and give it some time. Your buoyancy will improve over time, and so will your comfort (breathing, heart rate, stress levels).

A good indicator will be your first fundive after cert. You may find that your first fundive will be way more relaxed than to your skills dives.

Stick with it :wink:

Talk to your instructor. He has been observing you since the beginning of the course. Be honest. Also be honest with yourself. Face your problems and your fears. Practice, practice and practice, confidence with the water is what makes you enjoy this sport. If you are not comfortable in the water, you will suffer every dive.

This sensation happens with new divers. They are stressed/anxious under water (even if they don't realize it) and by the time they get to their surface they basically just want to be out of the water and on land. They are hyperventilating and anxious. Holding onto something or getting out of the water rapidly corrects it.

if it was the bcd or wetsuit i would expect holding onto the side of the pool or getting out of the pool wouldn't solve the problem (should still be squeezed out of the pool as you are on the surface). i remember when I was new and there were a few times that I felt like the regulator couldn't deliver me enough air or when I was on the surface I felt out of breath and just wanted to hold on to something or get out of the water. With experience, the sensation will go away

Back
Top Bottom