Canon WP-V1 Housing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
FYI

Just to let some of you know, Canon is releasing an underwater housing for the Vixia HF20 and Vixia HF200 series camera's. You can read the article here. I would think this is more geared towards the vacation diver. Which is great, its reasonably priced, and Canon could always use another housing out there.

FYI

Just to let some of you know, Canon is releasing an underwater housing for the Vixia HF20 and Vixia HF200 series camera's. You can read the article here. I would think this is more geared towards the vacation diver. Which is great, its reasonably priced, and Canon could always use another housing out there.

Canon has video on their website:
Consumer Camcorders - VIXIA High Definition Camcorders - Standard Definition Flash Memory Camcorders - Standard Definition DVD Camcorders - Standard Definition miniDV Camcorders - WP-V1 Waterproof Case - Canon USA Consumer Products

When viewing in HD make sure you have a "high end editing/graphics computer for smooth playback of the video." like they say on the website.

I found some HD video on youtube:
Looks like there was some issue with uploading and or editing, but you can get the general idea.
YouTube - iVIS HF20?WP-V1?????????????
YouTube - iVIS HF20?WP-V1?????????????
YouTube - iVIS HF20?WP-V1????

I wouldn't buy this as a vacation toy or as a scuba housing! :shakehead:

The reason, condensation! That housing fits very close to the camcorder which gets hot when running. You will definitely get condensation around on the inside of the housing. I have seen this so many times with divers using similar housings for still cameras.... and those don't heat up anywhere near what a camcorder will do!

One of the reasons I like Ikelite housings is they have proper ventilation around the camcorder inside the housing. Yes, you still have to keep it in the shade topside or covered with a white towel.... but you need to do this with any camcorder!!! :cool2: I have never seen condensation build up inside an Ikelite housing underwater. I would guess those Canon housings would start to heat up within a few minutes of being turned on, especially with the LCD open and on.

Just my 2 cents.

robin:D

Why not just use some Sealife moisture munchers or similar silica gel packs? You can get the silica gel at most crafts stores and put it in small perforated bags. Canon may also have a solution in their manual for the camera.

Also, this is a chip-based camera and not a HD or DV camera with motors. The problem with HDD cameras is the heat generated by the motors (thus the reason NOT to buy cameras with motors above the noise generated by them on the audio track AND the battery drain) I have a feeling that this and the HF S10 are going to be our gold standard for UW amateur videography.

I'm going to wait for hard returns before I assume performance.

Anybody with an IR camera to test the HF 20 or HF S10 for heat?

I had to many bad experiences with polycarbonate. I prefer aluminium.

Also, this is a chip-based camera and not a HD or DV camera with motors. The problem with HDD cameras is the heat generated by the motors (thus the reason NOT to buy cameras with motors above the noise generated by them on the audio track AND the battery drain) I have a feeling that this and the HF S10 are going to be our gold standard for UW amateur videography.

I'm going to wait for hard returns before I assume performance.

Anybody with an IR camera to test the HF 20 or HF S10 for heat?

I actually dove with one of these today with the HF200.
OK, it was barely considered diving, as it was in a friends above ground swimming pool. Brand new, with leaks so he wanted to document the patches that were on the pool.

Anyways, what was interesting was that it was about 100 degrees today (Texas) and the pool felt more like a hot tub. The camera was on and recording off and on for about 90 minutes.

No unnecessary heat build up at all. The camera was warm when I took it out of the housing, but nothing out of the ordinary considering the hot day.

Not sure about condensation in other conditions, but none today.

I would post some footage, but not much to see, other than static patches on a swimming pool liner. I normally shoot with a Gates EX1 housing, but fully intend to take this with me the next time out and see how it does in normal diving conditions.

It actually seems like a nice little inexpensive setup for vacation videos, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom