Canon wide angle options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dannybot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an SL2 in Ikelite housing. I am using the Canon 10-18, but it is quite soft about the edges. I am considering upgrading, I have a Canon 10-22, but that would require a new port, or a Tokina 10-17 that would fit in my existing port. Cost wise, it would be about the same out of pocket to go either way.

Any arguments to go one way or the other?

Tokina 10-17mm is likely your best choice. You can leave your port sealed and slide the camera with lens mounted in from the back.

Shoot at 17mm the curvature is less. Shoot at 12mm (to avoid mild vignetting from Ikelite housing small port and you'll have a wider view.

I used the Canon 10-22mm for my last few years of SLR shooting. Only thing I didn't like was having to take the port and lens off each time to change batteries or memory card.

I did like the "look" of the Canon EF-S 10-18mm rectilinear lens more than the Tokina 10-17mm though.

Lens corner sharpness is something I don't think is as important as many obsess over. I've always cropped every single image anyway.

Good luck!

David Haas
Stow OH

IMG_1938.jpg

Soft edges is an issue with wideangle dome ports, especially more compact ones.
Im not familiar with the SL2, but I have a 7D with an Ikelite housing myself.
The 8" dome port is better with regards to corners than the smaller ones, but its still noticeable, especially on close shots.

If you can get the Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye, I think you will be very happy with it. I had one for several years and it was my "go to lens" for underwater unless I knew for sure that I would be shooting macro.

Here is a shot from 2009 in the Bahamas with it at 13mm:
Screen Shot 2021-11-14 at 7.01.30 PM.png

Tokina 10-17mm is likely your best choice. You can leave your port sealed and slide the camera with lens mounted in from the back.

David Haas
Stow OH

View attachment 691003

David: I have a DL housing, which requires port and lens removal to change batteries. If you know a way not to do it this way, please share.

I conceptually agree about the corner sharpness not being important, but I am still at the level where I sometimes get the subject off center.

thanks all for the responses.

I have the Ikelite package. I use an 8" dome and the Tokina lens. Couldn't be a more pleased diver. Crispness is there for all settings. It's easy to get into and out of the housing. Only one thing to remember - make sure the ring adapter doesn't somehow click the manual/AF switch when loading it in the housing. Not much fun when it's on manual and you didn't plan for it!

I have the Ikelite package. I use an 8" dome and the Tokina lens. Couldn't be a more pleased diver. Crispness is there for all settings. It's easy to get into and out of the housing. Only one thing to remember - make sure the ring adapter doesn't somehow click the manual/AF switch when loading it in the housing. Not much fun when it's on manual and you didn't plan for it!
I can certainly appreciate the performance and optics of an 8” dome, but would I get acceptable results from the 5” port I am currently using? This is the biggest one I can fit in my carry on hard case.

I can certainly appreciate the performance and optics of an 8” dome, but would I get acceptable results from the 5” port I am currently using? This is the biggest one I can fit in my carry on hard case.
You'll get prob's a wide angle. Best to call Backscatter and get the real answer. They will guide you properly.

I had a smaller wideangle port before changing to the 8" and there is a significant difference in the corner sharpness.
It is more noticeable the closer the shots and the more is "going on" in the corners of the shot, so the trick with the smaller port was shots like the shark pick earlier in this thread, rather than close-up wideangle shots

Back
Top Bottom