Canon Underwater case O-ring replacemnt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you will read the canon manual that comes with the case it says replace once a year as well as remove and regrease after each dive. with so many entries made aboout flooding canon UW cases now Im paranoid
canon does not manufacture its own housings - it's actually a 3rd party under license to produce in the canon name

it's sold through a different distribution network hence the stupid and befuddled faces of sales reps when you ask them about it

it says replace every year BUT based on 2 personal experiences:

A620
bought off from midwestdiver (Gio) w/c was about 1 yr+ when i got it
used it for about 2-3 years
sold off to renebanilbo in May of 09 and he's still using it to my knowledge

G9
bought a 2yr used G9 and housing in May of 09 (when i sold the A620)
been working great to date (knocking on wood)

i do agree about the regular greasing and extra care to make sure housings are clean and don't have debris that may interfere with the seal

the canon clamshell design i've read somewhere here is generally a stable and durable design as compared to the remove-the-whole-back-portion system of most other housings...

Jag

so far my G9 and case have been fine, im just paranoid from reading all the floodings and alledged design flaws. anyway i found a supplier in taiwan at cost of usd15.00 but havent got the shipping cost yet

so far my G9 and case have been fine, im just paranoid from reading all the floodings and alledged design flaws. anyway i found a supplier in taiwan at cost of usd15.00 but havent got the shipping cost yet
paranoia is always a good thing...

no really :rofl3:

really?

Jag

how often should they be replaced, by the way?

I guess that's the equivalent of a 'how long is piece of string' question :)

the more often you replace them and the better care you take of them the less likely they are to leak. However, if you take the best possible care of them and replace regularly but are unlucky, you'll probably get a flood where as someone using the same o-ring with no maintenance for 5 years may be lucky and never have one :)

Ironically cleaning the o-rings is one of the biggest causes of floods, cleaning them is obviously good but if done quickly can cause more problems if a hair or large piece of dirt is on the o-ring or worse, trapped in the o-ring groove. It's often more important to clean the o-ring groove than the o-ring itself as this tends to get full of salt crystals after a few dives.....

its sad that Canon doesnt support their underwater cases or customer inquireies. will think long and hard before buting another canon case. mayb the suggestion that that's their marketing strategy to get you to buy a new camera is correct

Yep, just my theory but it's actually beneficial for Canon to have cameras flooding after a year or two. If getting the o-rings is made difficult and drastically increases the chance of a flood just as the new model of the same camera is released.......

The housing only manufacturers using provide a spare set of o-rings and have 'service kits' which allow all the worn bits to be replaced annually. I guess the longer you use their housing the more likely you are to re-buy one if/when you upgrade camera, where as with camera manufactures it's a case of weighing up a few $ for a maintenance kit against $$$$$ for a new camera and housing.

It's a conspiracy I tell you! :baaa: Or maybe I'm just paranoid :confused:

Karl

but...

i am pretty much sure you guys have a dealer for o-rings in manila. take the original o-ring and your case to this dealer. i bet he has some replacement at say 2 to 3 usd a piece.

i still don't understand why they have to be from silicon (heat resistence to 200 deg c) just take a standard ring with 50 shore.

you can save even more money, forget about silicon grease. ok it does not to be kjelly but again standard petrojelly is doing a fine job.

don't believe me? never had a major flood in 30 years.

but i bet if i gone get that d3x it will hapen :depressed:

Back
Top Bottom