Canon sd700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ripnrob

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone using this camera give us a review and possibly some pictures...Thanks in advance

I'm interested in those too because I am about to by my wife a SD700 for her pocketbook camera and I think that I will buy a housing for it so that she can take it diving/snorkeling or I can use it when I want a small setup such as for fast drift dives or when I don't want much task loading with the big rig but still want to have a camera just in case I see something spectacular.

David

Hi All,
I bought this camera a few weeks back and took it to Paris. For such a small camera the picture quality is superb. It is really worth it just for the image stabilization that is built in. I have just bought the waterproof housing for it (leak proof to 130') as well as the small weight kit. I will be in Bermuda and hope to come back with some stunning wreck/reef shots.

Feel free to email me at midnight_narcissus@yahoo.com if you would like to see FULL uncompressed sample images from this camera. They are about 2.2 megs each so they are much too large to attach to this post. If not check out http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/sd700.html this is the best review site with sample photos out there. Enjoy.

-M

I was diving on Friday with a guy who had the SD700, and he really loved it. He has used several other Canon cameras in the past. His SD700 replaced an SD550 (which I have personally used and liked a LOT), and he said it compared favorably to better. The advantage lies with the image stabilization which ends up giving you about 2 f-stops of extra lighting levels, so you can take more shots with natural lighting and have them come out nice... a real advantage in dark California waters. I'm intrigued... I might pick one up at some point to use as a backup system or a travel kit for when I can't take my beast.

Lorelei
Thats great I am going to Bermuda also in mid September I cant wait to see your pictures.

Compudude thats good to hear that your Freind likes the results of the SD700...I really like this camera but I wish it had a little more manual control but everyone seems to like the results so I think I"m going to take the plunge on this one.

Thanks to all..........

No manual controls, true. It's a big compromise, but it all depends on what your photography ambitions are.

The Powershot models definitely have more manual control. The SD700 allows you to change only ISO speed and white balance. The price is steep compared to other models out there boasting 8-10 megapixels but the image stabilization makes a huge difference with such a small camera. I bought it because I wanted great quality shots and a camera that could fit in my back pocket. I travel quite a bit and sometimes carrying a heavy manual camera with zoom lenses gets, well...tired. Canon has some of the best optics in the business.

A tip for those interested in buying this camera:
All the memory cards are not the same. Make sure to purchase the high performance memory. It will reduce processing times between pictures as well as camera response time. High resolution pictures are 2mb+ so make sure to get a 1 to 2Gig card if you will be away from a computer on an extended journey.

Ripnrob Blue Water Divers in Bermuda run a great operation, although my beloved Captain Terry no longer mans the boat :( Happy Diving.

The SD700is IS a member of the PowerShot line. The difference is the series... the "A" series (A540, A620, etc.) and the "S" series (S60, S70, S80) cameras tend to have manual controls, while the SD series (SD500, SD550, SD630, SD700) do not.

Back
Top Bottom