Canon sd700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got the camera and the housing is coming today... This is my first attempt at underwater photography so I'm sure I'll be back with more questions! First question - do you folks think this setup will require the weight kit? How much postive bouyancy should I expect? Thanks!

Not enough to be a real problem. Stock camera in stock housing will be a little floaty on the end of the lanyard, is all. That bothers some people, thus the weights. Some people prefer it to be floaty, so it'll go UP in case of loss instead of sinking to davy jones' locker. Others prefer neutral to very negative. It's all a personal thing. Try it stock on your first dives, if the floatiness bothers you that much, pick up the weights (or some other way to add a few grams of weight) for the next trip.

CompuDude:
Not enough to be a real problem. Stock camera in stock housing will be a little floaty on the end of the lanyard, is all. That bothers some people, thus the weights. Some people prefer it to be floaty, so it'll go UP in case of loss instead of sinking to davy jones' locker. Others prefer neutral to very negative. It's all a personal thing. Try it stock on your first dives, if the floatiness bothers you that much, pick up the weights (or some other way to add a few grams of weight) for the next trip.

Thanks! Makes a lot of sense. Just assembled the camera and housing for the first time and it IS pretty compact! Large ziploc baggie reasonable to keep it clean between use?

mbs - I use tupperware boxes for my gear. Multi duty - at home keeps stuff dry and dust free; get a bit larger one (or a second one - I actually keep my cords etc in a separate box most of the time) to keep all the bits in one place; stick it in a collapsible cooler bag for added protection when you head out to dive; fill the tupperware with fresh water for a rinse on the go; stackable so more gear fits in less space; cheap and easy to find almost anywhere.

alcina:
mbs - I use tupperware boxes for my gear. Multi duty - at home keeps stuff dry and dust free; get a bit larger one (or a second one - I actually keep my cords etc in a separate box most of the time) to keep all the bits in one place; stick it in a collapsible cooler bag for added protection when you head out to dive; fill the tupperware with fresh water for a rinse on the go; stackable so more gear fits in less space; cheap and easy to find almost anywhere.

Thanks alcina! I like the tupperware idea over just a plasitc ziploc bag!

Tupperware is a GREAT budget idea. Might want to throw a microfiber towel in there for both padding and cleaning purposes. I use a Pelican waterproof case, personally, which has foam padding and is extra crush-resistant, but the occasions where that makes a difference over tupperware are probably fairly rare.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom