Canon S90 w/ lenses Pool Practice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhaas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Almost ready for Bonaire departure next Friday.

Tried INON UFL-165 AD lens with 10BAR adapter plus a 10X life size Subsee lens for super close ups. Lit with one Ikelite AF35 strobe.

I think they'll all work OK in the Big "O" (AKA the ocean :)

dhaas

Attachments

• IMG_2915.jpg
    IMG_2915.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2917.jpg
    IMG_2917.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2952.jpg
    IMG_2952.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2956.jpg
    IMG_2956.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2959.jpg
    IMG_2959.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2971.jpg
    IMG_2971.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2977.jpg
    IMG_2977.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2990.jpg
    IMG_2990.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3000.jpg
    IMG_3000.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3014.jpg
    IMG_3014.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 116
I don't know why the camera stores keep telling people the 165AD will not work with the S90 but both your photographs and mine clearly show otherwise. The 165AD is a sharp lens, compact, lightweight and with excellent DOF. A fun lens and a good match with this camera.

Mine was "accidentally" knocked off my camera and was lost to the sea. I nearly cried because I liked it so much. Then two days later down in the Keys, I got a phone call, yep, the guys at the Jupiter shop had recovered my lens, undamaged! I was able to pick it up before my flight out of Lauderdale, amazing!

Dave, do you think it gains you some FOV over your Ikelite WAL-20, it looks like it does, it should?

I think this photo tells it all, sharp, clear and very wide, no crop:

IMG_0511.jpg

Thanks for showing the photos, excellent work.

N

Last edited:
Nem,

I was actually surprised even with the skinny 10BAR AD adapter (thanks Jack) how much I had to zoom to totally eliminate vignetting.

The UFL-165 AD lens despite being a Fisheye still has a rectangular "wide window" when aligned properly. With the wide shade cut outs at 12 and 6 o'clock.

Problem with the 10BAR adapter is I had to UNTHREAD the 67mm screws a bit to back it off and have the shade (and "window") aligned properly:( Maybe 1/3 of a turn. Used a rubber wrist band (like for causes) to hold it in place.

So I found myself zooming in almost to 50mm on my Canon S90 but it still looked pretty darn wide.

I had intended to take my Ikelite W20 down too but ran out of time. So I may shoot BOTH wide lenses in Bonaire and compare if my friend will loan it to me.

I'm very happy with the Ikelite W20 and only having to zoom to 35mm equivalent though.

More as I learn what it does on my Ikelite Canon S90 housing!

Later :)

dhaas

Last edited:
OK, thanks, I only have to zoom one notch in (approx 31mm) but below f5.6 I have to zoom to 35mm to eliminate vignetting. My DIY adapter is about 1mm thinner than the 10BAR. The 10Bar works for me pretty darn good zoomed to 35mm. Yeah, at 50mm you would probably be at about 125 degrees FOV diagonal. Still, pretty good.

This photo shot with Inon 165AD, zoom set to 35mm, no crop needed, f5.6 I think it was:

IMG_0762_edited-1.jpg

Here is another, Inon 165AD, no crop, I think I may have been f4.0 on this one:

IMG_0774_edited-1.jpg

And another:

IMG_0846_edited-1.jpg

These were my first dives with the rig and I was having issues, lol. BTW, the FIX lens adapter allows you to align the lens as needed. I think realigning the petals on the 165AD might be rather involved?

N

Nem,

Your f-stop should have zero effect on FOV or zoom position needed to eliminate vignetting.......(see my P.S. below too.)

I was in a hurry to get ready for the pool and didn't try inserting the lens into the 10BAR adapter both ways, but I doubt it would make any difference as opposite 180 degrees is where I see the mounting slots.

Still pretty darn wide and likely a bit more than the Ike W20.

As I said will shoot both if possible in Bonaire and post any results.

Having a ball with this little camera.....

dhaas

P.S. - Tending to shoot in Tv mode lately as f-stop sure doesn't seem to have much DOF effect on the little sensor. Many of the wide shots I posted were at like f2.8!

I seem to be getting sharper pics with my S90 at shutter speeds of 1/100 or higher. Maybe at that SS there is no IS voodoo screwing up the mix?

What I find is that at small f numbers I sometimes see a slight corner occlusion in particular with the 10Bar adapter (much less so with mine). I have encountered this with other lenses including my old Nikon dSLR at full open aperture. Stopping down a bit eliminates it. That is just what I have seen and see with this camera as well.

I am measuring about 155 degrees DFOV with the Inon 165AD and camera at 35mm setting. Maybe not completely accurate either way, just a quick and informal measurement.

The Inon 100WAL plus dome shoots great and is also very wide, very nice and no tendency to vignette at all but it is darn heavy which is one reason I have always liked the 165AD.

I would love to try a Fisheye UWL-04, guess I will have to purchase one, I have the adapter ordered.

I intentionally set a slow shutter speed to blur the fish but I did not quite achieve the effect I was seeking, Inon 165AD, zoom at 35mm, no crop (yeah, yeah, I know my mistake):

IMG_0770_edited-1.jpg

N

i had confirm that S90 work great with AD lens.
I'm using 105AD and it does produce good result.
I can't post photo here yet, maybe can visit my site to view the result.

Very nice photos!

For wide angle shots, have you had to crop the photos to get rid of vignetting? What focal length were you using with the 105AD lens? What adapter ring are you using from the Ikelite 67mm to the AD fitting?

Swee Sin
What housing and lens adaptor are you using with the S90?
How much zoom to eliminate vignetting?
thanks
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom