Canon S90 Pool Learning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld,

I will likely stir up a hornet's nest for the following comments :( But here goes......

EVERY ikelite housing for cameras without a hot shoe comes with a DIFFUSER for limited use of the camera's built in flash (less than 2' MAYBE effective distance) and a DEFLECTOR for bouncing the flash up to a sensor.

Can the sensor be "tripped" by another photographer taking a pic of you? Yes, but I have learned to cup my hand over it tightly which keeps it from going off 99% of the time. Saves me from turning the strobe on and off if a buddy wants a photo of me.

The open sensor systems mimic the camera's built in TTL flash. They duplicate pre-flashes, then the "start main flash" and "stop main flash" for proper exposures.

But without cables and cords running from housing to the strobe head(s) :)

I have a major dislike of anything that gets in my way of reaching up to adjust my strobe head angle, get caught on my hand or BC hose, etc. and keep me from making good photos...........

I never use a lanyard or clip even with a DUAL strobe digital SLR rig (!!!!!) The system is either in my hand or on the boat. To save my buddy, the wife :) I would certainly ditch a camera versus wasting time to clip it off......

After 40 years I dive without use of my hands for 99% of tasks EXCEPT holding, adjusting and aiming my camera no matter what size rig.

Just my method and I am not advocating anyone else duplicate it! I just know what works for me.......

As far as Optical Fiber synch cords I suppose if you are handy you could velcro or tape an optical cable to the front of any clear Ikelite housing in front of the flash. Then make some gizmo routed to the sensor. But why?

I think my photos I've shared on this board show the system as is works well.......

Hope this helps in your decision making process :)

dhaas
David Haas Underwater Photography

Attachments

• IMG_3378.jpg
    IMG_3378.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 53
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom