Canon S80 (WP-DC1 Case) and Ikelite Tray for DS-51

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

designbysue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was recently given a wonderful gift of an Ikelite DS-51 with tray, ball and socket arm with the manual controller. My friend had researched the product and found that it was compatable with my Canon case. When we tried to install the "Anti-Rotation Kit" that came with the tray, we found that neither of the two bars that came with the kit would fit under the WP-DC1.

I called Ikelite to see if there was another piece that would work for my case and was really suprised by their responses. They told me that these were the only 2 pieces they provided and that I should talk to my reseller (what good would that do? - the reseller isn't going to make a piece. I guess they meant that I should return the products for a refund). Then they told me to send them my tray and my case and they would see what my problem was (I'm not about to let me case out of my hands, besides, I'm going to La Paz in a week - the point of the strobe in the first place). In the end, the conversation with them was very frustrating.

So I got out my Mototool and trimmed down one of the pieces they sent me and after about 15 minutes was able to create a bar that works to stabilize the camera on the tray.

Does anyone else have this combination? What did they do to stabilize the camera? Has anyone else had a similar experience with Ikelite?

I sent an email to Ikelite to let them know of my dissatisfaction with the way the call went and Ike replied with kind apology for the "the aggravation and response for a product that did not operate as intended". His reply came only a few hours after I sent my note. This is more of what I had expected from Ikelite! This sure helps restores my faith in the company. Even nicer, he is sending me a PCm lite for contacting him.

Ikelite's support is actually known to be very good.

Did you purchase the Ikelite tray that is designed to work with your housing? It sounds like you may have purchased the wrong tray, and that's the problem. I would double-check your friend's research and see if your housing is really listed as compatible and appropriate for use with that model tray.

This is one area where going to a u/w specialty shop pays off. They actually know how the various bits fit together.

Yes, it was the correct tray. And no, my case was not on the incompatible list. (even Enoch from Ikelite confirmed that) We did deal with a reseller who knows the underwater stuff. The problem was not in the item we received, it was , to quote the email from Ike:

"The tray worked with all known housings at the time of design, but these housings are changed so rapidly that we evidently are not keeping up."

So at this time my case is "not compatible with the tray" but with a little work on the stabilization kit with a mototool it can be made to be.

My impression is that Ikelite does have good customer support, and Ike's swift response to my email confirms this. I just believe Enoch is new to his job or not trained properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom