Canon PowerShots vs. Sony CyberShots ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geekydork

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I am sorry for starting a new thread, but I can't seem to find this particular discussion. I am thinking that the fact that there is no Sony forum is indicative, but I wanted to get a variety of opinions.
In any case, I want a good quality digital camera that is easy to use...essentially point and shoot..that takes good underwater photos with minimal messing around with settings. Basically for educational use (powerpoints & websites), not professional level. I want something SMALL in its housing that can be toted around in a BC pocket or on a lanyard. So I have been checking out the Cybershot DSC-N2 which has a marine pack housing. However it has a touch screen so I am wondering how that would affect its use underwater in the housing! I'm also interested in the Canon PowerShot SD900. I think they're similarly priced and have similar specs, but that's as far as I got. If anyone out there has experience with either, or can recommend others, I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks in advance!

www.dpreview.com for some good reviews on cameras.

I have the Sony W7 and I've had no problems for a cheap point and shoot camera.

Don't know much about canon except lots of people have them. Also when I was researching the Sony had faster start up and shorter shutter lag so as it was my 2nd U/W Camera and my first was a sony P150 I stuck with Sony.

Not sure which is better though.

I have a Sony DSC-W7 with underwater housing, and it works awesome. Although I'm no professional, the quality of pics is impressive.

The housing is somewhat bulky, but that is to be expected. I clip it to my BC, and I'm good to go.

Thanks! But isn't the housing for the W7 the silver marine SPORTS pack that only goes to 10' versus the clear plastic Marine Pack for the N2 (130')? At least that is what I gathered from Sony's website...

Thanks! I also just noticed that the cybershot's screen is 3" while the PowerShot's is 2.5". they're the same megapixels, so I guess it comes down to ease of use and quality...

I've used a Canon Powershot A70 with the Canon underwater housing and it worked awesome. I was able to take many great pictures without much fiddling with settings underwater. I even ended up making about 16 calanders for x-mas presents for this upcoming year. I was also able to fit it in my BCD pocket for the surface swims and walks back to the car.

One note is that the SD900 series only have incorporated rechargable batteries. So you don't have the option of just switching out like you do with the A series. I would definitely look at the A series cameras so that you can swap batteries if you are in a remote location and can't charge the camera.

On a final note I have recently upgraded to a A710IS and will definitely be getting it's underwater case before my next dive trip.

I've used and seen many models of Sonys and Canons. Both can produce very nice images. My choice is hands down Canon's range, however, as the results that I see are simply better more of the time.

Whatever camera you get if you learn it, you should get some really nice images - it's the operator, remember!

I personally would not choose the SD range in the Canon set or any of the Sony's that do not offer a complete manual control option. The Canon A series is by far a better choice, imho, even though you sacrifice a bit of size. Once in the housing, the size issue isn't that great - my A520 is actually a tad smaller than my mom's SD400 housing (she uses it in the fog/rain and in tidepools only).

There are so many choices out there that it can be difficult to make a final choice. There is a ton of information here from people who use various models so it is a good resource. The Pink Link in my signature has a compilation of some of the best information that our members have shared lately and might help put you on the path.

Have fun shopping!

Thank you so much for the great advice and resources! So many things to consider! I appreciate all the feedback!

I prefer the rechargeable batteries to AAs, and it doesn't sound like manual mode is important to you, so you may as well keep the SD series in the running. The small size is indeed impressive, and I would take a look at the cases in person before deciding which is bigger... I think the SD is smaller, but in a different direction than the A series perhaps? I would look at the SD800is over the SD900, however. Megapixels aren't everything, and IS rocks.

Haven't used any of the Sonys underwater, but I greatly prefer the ergonomics of the Canons, and the special UW mode is nice, too, I dunno if Sony has that. I also prefer SD cards to Sony's memory sticks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom