Canon HV30 - 60i, 30p, 24p

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rcolman

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone out there shooting in these three modes? I have been trying them on various dives, but the jury is still out. I don't have a firm conclusion as to which mode works best in darker California waters, and my upcoming Yucatan trip.

Rick Colman

Hi Rick,

After my problems with the Sony HC-7 I've considered trying the Canon HDV camcorders to see if they do a better job with the greens. The newer Canons like the HV30 have dropped the LANC connector though, haven't they?

I am having a lot of fun with the HV30 in the stooppid Equinox housing. But, I keep wishing for a better camera.

When I started out in still photography, I had an Oly C-5060 prosumer point and shoot. The HV30 is sort of the same thing, nice, but I keep wishing for more control of the process.

My problem is not so much cost (although I am not wealthy by any means) but size and weight. I am getting too old and feeble to drag around huge and heavy camera rigs.

I would like a three-CCD imager in a small, lightweight camera with complete exposure controls and interchangeable lenses, in a total package, with housing, that weighs less than 10 lbs.

Call me when you find one ...

Rick.

Under 10 lbs., that would be nice. Probably will never happen though. Similar to cameras, more manual controls means bigger size and weight.

Sounds like you need an assistant :D.

That or become a very friendly big tipper. I know of a few female videographer's with big 3 chip systems that tip heavily.

Hi Rick,

After my problems with the Sony HC-7 I've considered trying the Canon HDV camcorders to see if they do a better job with the greens. The newer Canons like the HV30 have dropped the LANC connector though, haven't they?

Hey Doc, I've seen some pretty awesome footage shot with the HC-7. Most recently the video below.

Philippines Macro Life on Vimeo

The closeup/macro shots with lighting look best. Wide angle natural lighting has less than ideal colors, but the closeups with lights...awesome.

He also has some other videos on there in greener waters. Might want to take a look. Your prob may be the port/lens on your housing.

My problem is not so much cost (although I am not wealthy by any means) but size and weight. I am getting too old and feeble to drag around huge and heavy camera rigs.

I would like a three-CCD imager in a small, lightweight camera with complete exposure controls and interchangeable lenses, in a total package, with housing, that weighs less than 10 lbs.

Call me when you find one ...

Rick.

The Canon HV30 in a Ikelite housing (sans light) comes out to be in the 10 lb mark. It ain't no three chipper sadly.

X

The Canon HV30 in a Ikelite housing (sans light) comes out to be in the 10 lb mark. It ain't no three chipper sadly.

X

What kind of manual control do you have over things like white balance or exposure say? Just curious if I ever get the cash to buy a housing for my HV20.

What kind of manual control do you have over things like white balance or exposure say? Just curious if I ever get the cash to buy a housing for my HV20.

There is WB control built into the Ikelite housing. Sometimes it might be an extra cost?

That being said, the Canon/Ike combo. may not necessarily be the best one vs. other vendors like Gates + Sony combo. which is far more solid (al. vs. acrylic) and optically sharper.

X

Back
Top Bottom