Canon Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bflem55

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys just got a cannon A570is cant wait to use it but I was wondering what are some good websites where I can get a housing for it?? thanks
Also is that pretty good starter camera??

Canon's housing is the WP-DC12. They're on eBay for around $150. B&H has it for $169. Ikelite also makes a housing for it, it's $300.

The Canon housing will not allow you to attach a strobe and will not let you have control of all the functions nor add extra lenses,,if these things are important to you and they will be as your photography improves its to be considered, the Iklite will do all the stuff the Canon housing won't, thats why theres a difference in price and the reason I decided on an Iklite.

I use a strobe (Inon and Ikelite) with my Canon housings, so I'm not sure your first statement is correct.

I don't use the Ikelite housings with my Canon A series, I stick with the Canon housings. Some Canon's have round ports which will accept wet mate lenses. You'll need to double check if you are going to want to add wet mates in the future. The camera itself is very capable without them, but they can add extra levels of learning and creative control as well as offering a greater range of shooting options.

Bought my housing rom amazon.com. You can control everything with the canon brand housing. The buttons are close together, but do able with big fingers in 5 MM gloves. You can attach a control arm which will allow a strobe to be added. Will have to be a fiber optic triggered flash. No idea about adding lenses however it has such a good range you may not need one but there are lenses out there.

Nismo:
Bought my housing rom amazon.com. You can control everything with the canon brand housing. The buttons are close together, but do able with big fingers in 5 MM gloves. You can attach a control arm which will allow a strobe to be added. Will have to be a fiber optic triggered flash. No idea about adding lenses however it has such a good range you may not need one but there are lenses out there.

Thats correct all the camera's buttons will work with the Canon housing and all my Ikelite slave strobes work as well on the A630/640 series. I am finding that the add-on macro lenses are NOT needed.

simcoediver:
The Canon housing will not allow you to attach a strobe and will not let you have control of all the functions nor add extra lenses,,if these things are important to you and they will be as your photography improves its to be considered, the Iklite will do all the stuff the Canon housing won't, thats why theres a difference in price and the reason I decided on an Iklite.

not true, Inon supports this housing: http://inonamerica.com/news.php?news_id=87&newscat=0

The difference in price between the Ikelite and the Canon has mostly to do with overall quality, warranty, and the depth rating. Both should allow full access to controls and the ability to use an external, optically triggered strobe, when you add the appropriate arms and handles.

I have the A570is and the Canon housing. It will accept strobes and allows full control of all camera functions. I prefer the Canon case since it is smaller than the Ike. I use it without strobes and lenses and I really like the compact size. I can clip the camera to my BC and just dive, or hold it in my hands folded across my midsection, and dive a streamlined profile. Add the strobe or go with a bigger case and this is not possible -- you are holding that camera out front every second of the dive.

TIP: If buying the Canon WP case to use without a strobe, be sure to buy the Canon weight kit. The WP case for the A570is needs 2 weights to be very slightly negative, somewhat buoyant with 1 weight, or very buoyant with no weights which is annoying. The Canon weights are stainless steel and attach to the mounting base on the bottom of the WP case. The weights can be used on other brand cases also.

Back
Top Bottom