Canon Housing Leaks - Easy DIY Fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Digi-camies are electronic. They get hot during operation driving off moisture which condenses out inside the housing against the cooler surfaces of the case and port. N

Digi-camies are electronic. They get hot during operation driving off moisture which condenses out inside the housing against the cooler surfaces of the case and port. N
Where's that moisture coming from?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can offer a solution for an intermittent leak with my WP-DC43 housing.

The housing is only a few months old and has done around 30 dives, I've always followed guidelines for housing care and maintenance.

The leak occurs from the shooting mode select dial on the top of the housing and is generally a few drops of water seeping into the inside of the housing, I have found liberally applying silicon grease externally a temporary solution.

Quite clearly there must be a problem with the seal, would replacing the o rings be a solution? Is it easy to obtain replacements and is it a fix I could consider undertaking myself?

I don't have the receipts for the item and I can't find any details of Canon's warranty terms covering underwater housings online, where do I stand with this?

I have now placed the photos and information that started this thread in 2009, on my own website. I did this as all the photo storage sites keep deleting my stored photos, or changing hands and renaming the links. So to see this information along with photos & sketch of DIY fix, please visit the following page on our website: Canon Underwater Camera Housing Leak Fix - Reef Wreck & Critter

After four wd-34 housings I just decided to switch to Ikelite. (Waiting for the shipment)

The oldest housing (4 years old and 1000+dives) never ever leaked.

I decided to buy 3 more housings during the last 2 years. All three leaked. Two of them after a few dives and one on it's first dive.

Most of the time just small leaks and the camera survived, but so far i ruined two G11 cameras in the last year.

I like the wd-34 cause they are cheap, but mostly cause they are small.

But enough is enough. I don't want to risk any of my cameras anymore. NEVER again will i use a canon housing.

I lost 2 canon a720 cameras in the canon housings, it put me off underwater photography for a few years, I changed the orings, removed the mold lines etc & even tried a new housing & it also leaked, so now I am back with a new camera & a sea & sea housing but it still makes me nervous taking it diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom