Canon housing for the s120

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cayal

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has, or has used the canon housing for the Canon s120?

I am more looking at potential issues it might have like the connector for zoom coming off (I know this can be an issue for the ikelite housing) or anything like that.
Is it a worthwhile housing? Better/worse/same as the ikelite one?

Any advice would be great.

I have used the Canon housing for my S95 for hundreds of dives without problems, so I would expect the same from other Canon housings. My understanding is that Ikelite offers more control. It is also larger and more expensive. The small Canon compact housing I can put in my skins when I want it out of the way.

I'm using an Ikelite housing for the S120 and prior to this used a Canon housing for my S95, which by the way flooded. The Ikelite is only a little more and it's a much better housing IMO.

I have been using the Ikelite housing for my S-100 for over 2 years now with well over 1,000 dives on it and I have never had any issue with the zoom coming off, nor have I ever hear of this issue with any other colleagues who also have a large number of dives on their housings with this issue. The only thing that I do not like about the Ikelite housing is that the zoom does not have a return spring to bring it back to the center, I find myself sometimes unable to take the photo as I had left the lever still depressed against the zoom which will not allow the camera to perform any action until you release the lever.

The Ikelite housing is more bulky than the Canon OEM housings but it is easier to add wide-angle and macro lenses to the housing as the port id already threaded, where as the Canon OEM housings you will need to purchase an adapter ring which can be costly and is not as sturdy especially for the heavier wide-angle lenses.

If you can afford it I would suggest the Nauticam housing, very nice light weight aluminum construction, you will have full control over all the functions where the other housings mentioned will not allow the control of the rear dial.

The zoom on the Ikelite housing is a problem. I solved this by disabling the zoom of the housing (rotate the lever 180 degrees) and using step zoom: the outer ring around the lens controls the camera zoom. It's settable in the camera.

Hi

I had the S120 in the Ikelite housing and sold it
I found myself dealing with the housing during the dive, try to fix the zoom, try to change the shutter or anything else
instead of enjoying it and look for fish to film.
when I asked they (at the store) told me, Yes, it's a known issue of
Ikelite housing.
you better have a simple housing that works

Good luck
Hezi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom