Canon g9 or g10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grotius

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I want to buy my first underwater camera. My budget is small (€600 or $800).
I can buy equipment secondhand. I have the folllowing options for this budget and i am hoping you can give me some advice.

option A:
Canon Powershot G9
Ikelite housing # 6147.09
Ikelite special short port #9305.92
Inon UWL-100 large angle
Inon UWL-100 dome
Inon UCL-330 macro lens
Double arm holder for 2x TTL

Option B:
Canon G10
Canon Underwater Housing
Ikelite TTL AL35

----
I am going to backpack through Mexico, Guatamale and Belize for 4 weeks so i travel light. In total i will dive for 7 days in Belize (Glover's Reef). When weight is involved i think the G10 option (B) is better. When quality is involved the G9 might be a better option. Problem with option A is the lack of a TTL (but it does have the better Inon stuff). I hope someone could advice me (or point me to an even better alternative because the g9 and g10 are older camera's). Thanks in advance.

The Canon G series are their most advanced Point & Shoots. This series seems to be the P&S that are the cameras of choice by DSLR owners who are in a situation to use a P&S. They shoot RAW and they shoot Manual modes. Both are really important for underwater. I shoot a DSLR on land. I have a Canon G11 for underwater. It is a nice camera. It is easy to use. It takes good photos.

Now the G11 & G12 both are improvements over the G10 in high ISO performance. As you increase ISO the picture quality declines. The decline is slower in the newer models.

The G10 is highly regarded. I am not sure about the G9. The G9 package that is there has a bunch of extras that come in handy. Just glancing at the specs, the G10 looks to be an incremental improvement. You can do some research and check on how much it is. I know in that when they went from G10 to G11 the improvements were: better high iso performance and fewer megapixils (went back to 10). The reduction is not a big deal because unless the lens is at wide open, you will not get more than 10 megapixils resolution because of diffraction.

The improvement from G11 to G12 was primarily in video (which I don't use).

Option A sounds like a great bargain for the price.
They are oranges and apples though as one has a strobe and one has awesome wet lenses and the much better housing.
I think you need a strobe, but I prefer the G9 to the G10.
The video on the G9 is better. The 35mm lens matches the wet lenses available (again.. you will love those you have in option A) vs the 28mm of the G10.
The ikelite housing is a much better housing than the canon housing.
If you can afford $200 more, get option A and a used strobe.

First of all, thank you for your answers

Just glancing at the specs, the G10 looks to be an incremental improvement. You can do some research and check on how much it is.

I looked at the spec and i think the difference is not so big

Option A sounds like a great bargain for the price.

I think i will chose for option A and look for a used strobe. At the moment my only concern is the weight. We do a backpack vacation. My weight of luggage must be lower then 8 - 9 kg in total. I am already carrying a 5d mk II with 24-70.

If you are backpacking and looking to travel light, why carry all those lenses and the much bigger ike housing?
Go with a canon S95 in a canon housing and don't worry about a strobe. Camera is $369, housing is $180. That leaves some money for a strobe.

Otherwise, I'd go with option B. I assume that last item in the list is a strobe. A strobe is much more important than add on lenses.

1. Weight and practical wise chris196 has given you the best suggestion.

2. You cannot use a G10 G11 or G12 in an Ike housing without an external strobe as the lens port blocks the internal strobe.

3. The length of the lens tunnel on the G10, G11 and G12 Canon housings partially blocks the camera's internal strobe so an external strobe is an almost must.

4. The S95 in a Canon housing is not as impaired by the lens tunnel and therefore can be used without an external strobe.

5. Option A needs it's own backpack size wise. Don't forget to add the tray and arm to any setup that has an external strobe.

6. Are you familiar with the use of an underwater camera and strobe? If not , you are better off with the S95 in a Canon housing shooting RAW. Much less to learn and concentrate on. The seven days of diving is not the time for a learning curve.

7. I haven't dove Belize but have dove Cozumel several times. It is the same reef system. If the currents are as strong in Belize as they were in Cozumel you will have a major task taking photos, especially if you have an external strobe and are not experienced with the setup. Take a reef hook with you.

8. I have a G10 and a G12, both in Canon housings. I like them both. If I was traveling and was going to use the camera for both underwater and topside use I would prefer the G12 topside. It has an articulating monitor which is very handy especially for taking tripod photos with you in them as you can turn the monitor completely around. The G12 has high definition video (so does the S95) if that matters to you. IMHO buying later technology is better (G12 versus G9).

I have to agree that if you really plan on backpacking, going to a much smaller option (s95 or equiv) is going to be a better (above water) experience. In my trip to Borneo last October, I brought my E-PL1 rig for my week of diving at Sipadan, but when I was doing the land based part of the trip, I carried my T2i and the G9 in a canon case. An Ike housing and all those wet lenses would not be much fun backpacking through the rainforest. Why you might ask did I even bother with the G9 and U/W case. Rivers.. waterfalls .. etc.

Enjoy your trip

Attachments

• waterfall2.jpg
    waterfall2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 96
I really reconsidered my choice. I never used an UW camera before so i think i am better off with smaller and lighter camera as you all suggested.

When i look at s95 i can buy a canon or a Ikelite housing (price difference is only €50). But i guess the Ikelite housing is much heavier and bulky then canon?

Thanks again.

Hi,

an Ikelite housing with all the available accessoire makes big difference... Bigger difference then between the pic quality of G9 and G10...

However, that is a decision you have to make at the beginning; are you willing to carry all that stuff.. My decision on this subject was NO, after travelling with a Pelican case with these bunch of stuff. So; I sold my Ikelite housing and all it's accessoires, along with the camera (camcorder, in fact) and switched to the "compact" system of Canon G10 + Canon housing... All fit into the corner of my suitcase.

Later I added a Canon camcorder (HF M31) + Canon housing and couldn't escape the fact that I need a new case for all these stuff, indeed. But this time I opted for a soft sholder case, where a Sea&Sea strobe for the G10 found also a place...

As I am very confident, that I don't want to upgrade to a SLR system, now I feel such a relief, that I can recommend my selections.

Kind regards
Kaya - theXXXL

Actually, the size difference is not that much for the S95 housing between canon and ikelite. There is a much bigger size difference with the G series cameras.
However, for the reasons Gilligan stated about the internal flash you should stay with the canon.
The S95 is an amazing little camera and you'll be thrilled with what it can do for it's size.
Don't think you're selling yourself short, the S95 is superior to the G9 & G10 in many ways. And many chose it over the current G12, of course, many chose the G12 also. Both have their strengths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom