Canon G9 Dilemna

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, great price on the housing. Good luck with it all. We are still waiting for pics:D.

After every trip, I would remove the o-ring, clean it, grease it & store it in a zip-lock bag... Good luck with your Ikelite housing!

Wow, great price on the housing. Good luck with it all. We are still waiting for pics:D.

I snagged the Wide Angle adapter for $54 as well. Missed a W-20 which is another reason to go Ikelite.

Picked up a replacement G-9 today for $259 (Ebay) so that solves that......

I still want to get a Wide Angle lens as I think it will help with better images.

I will post the pics once I'm done with post-production. Right now I'm working through a Lynda.com course on Lightroom so I can use it without cussing. I picked up a shrinkwrapped copy of Lightroom 3 for $199 on Ebay as well. Beware on ebay there appears to be alot of counterfeit software out there..... One guy was selling it for $70 but he had 88 auctions with the same thing.... He said he had bought 5 copies, didn't need them. Even had a fake receipt to go with it. Too bad for him the receipt had an address that Google Earth says belongs to a Steel Company, not a computer store.

I highly recommend Lynda.com for Software training.

Anyhow, when I'm done I'll post them. In the meanwhile, I have one day of pictures up, but they need reworking with noise-ninja to deal with ISO-gremlins.

Here are 50 pictures from Day 5. They have been color corrected and cropped, but are not "done". They need noise-removal and tweaking.
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=275948

I've decided to hunt down a EOS 30D as well so I can play with a dSLR. I realized when I looked at a 50D that I don't know how to really use one and that I need good lenses to go with it. So, I'm going to get an older body and start acquiring lenses while I learn to use it. Then when I'm ready I can make the leap to a newer body and take it diving. For now, my G9 has alot it can help me learn about dive photography.

There are real and subtle differences between what a G series and D series can do. You have to blow up the prints or pixel peep to really notice the details. Anyhow, I should have my Ikelite gear together in the next few weeks.

Once it gets here I'm sending it off to Ikelite for service. That will help me start from a known-working state. Then I will take it to the local lake for some less exciting and less expensive diving. Sure it's not coral, but it's underwater and I can still work on getting good pictures of boring things. :)

Back
Top Bottom