Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would be all over the G7X Mark III, however releasing a brand new camera with 4k 30fps max is disappointing. Not sure why 60fps hasn't become a standard yet. It really makes a difference to me when filming underwater and things are moving fast(er). The Lumix LX10 has been out for a couple years already with the same 4k 30fps, and I can get a used one for $300 on ebay (which I think I will do until Canon finally comes out with 4k 60fps). I love canon for all things photography, and currently shoot with an S120 at FHD 60fps, so at least upgrading to Lumix LX10 will get me 4k and up to 120fps in FHD. Just have to decide if 4k 30fps is better than FHD 60fps for what we film.

I also read many reviews saying the autofocus is extremely slow compared to the mark II. Curious to see what anyone here with the camera thinks so far. Not sure how to compare it to my S120.

I'm not so into video, more a stills kind-a-guy! So the video rate does not worry me, but your comment about slower autofocus is obviously worrying...it seems really really odd though that it would be slower than the M2! The main camera review sites do not really mention this, they typically say it's marginally quicker...such as this site: Canon G7X Mark III Review - Performance

Ikelite have released a housing for the G5X2 which supposedly allows both macro and WA wet lenses!! So that is very encouraging.

The autofocus is better.

" The G7X III's full AF-S shutter lag clocked in at 0.149 second at wide angle using center AF mode. Full AF-S shutter lag was just slightly slower at full telephoto, at 0.156 second. Enabling the flash raised shutter lag to 0.250 second, to account for the metering preflash. In comparison, the G7X II tested at 0.176, 0.153 and 0.494 second respectively"

As for Fantasea, the Mk3 housing is coming soon.

Fantasea FG7X III Housing for Canon G7 X Mark III - Announcement

Are Canon cameras with TTLs dead? Are strobes being replaced with high intensity LED lights? The G7 X seems like a nice choice, but it would be a pain in the ass to go back to an optical sync with strobes. Would it be reasonable to use a video light for stills with this type of camera?

Looking at the user manual for G7X III, it appears to have both automatic (TTL) flash mode, and a manual mode which, I presume, won't fire a pre-flash and remove the associated shutter lag - a marked advantage over Sony cameras where the pop-up flash always functions in TTL mode.

If by 'Are Canon cameras with TTLs dead?' you're referring to the presence of a hot shoe as an alternative to the pop-up flash, smaller compacts haven't had a hot shoe for a while now - land shooters simply don't use tiny cameras with flashes that are several times larger than the camera body, and underwater photographers are a tiny market. Larger compacts such as Canon G1X III, Panasonic LX10 II and LX100 II, Fujifilm X100F still have it. Even so, underwater, most people prefer optical triggering over electric sync due to fiber optics removing two to four potential water ingress points, and the cables being much less bulky. LED triggers really give you the best of both worlds, but represent several hundred dollars in additional costs, and require a hot shoe to attach to.

Video lights can be used for stills in some situations, but strobes are massively more powerful - tests indicate that it will take an approximately 1 million lumen light at 1/60s to match the output of a Sea & Sea YS-D2. Compact LEDs with that much power aren't going to be available anytime soon.

Are Canon cameras with TTLs dead? Are strobes being replaced with high intensity LED lights? The G7 X seems like a nice choice, but it would be a pain in the ass to go back to an optical sync with strobes. Would it be reasonable to use a video light for stills with this type of camera?

I wouldn't say TTL is dead, but I do think electrical TTL is on the way out. I know I sold my wired strobes and switched to optical TTL some time ago, mostly due to the cost of diagnosing/replacing a flakey wired cord (or two).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom