Canon g7x mark III with INON UWL-S100 ZM80 lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex C

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anybody have an experience of using canon g7x mark III with INON UWL-S100 ZM80 wide angle lens?
Are the Fantasea FG7X III Vacuum Housing or Ikelite or SeaFrogs housings compatible with INON UWL-S100 ZM80 lens ?

PS I'd like to upgrade my Canon G15 with INON UWL-S100 ZM80 lens to new camera.

As a long time user of the Canon G7X and G7X II I don't know if the INON UWL-S100 ZM80 would be a good choice match.

The built in Canon G7X series lens 24-100mm has to pull back in most housings at 24mm - 28mm. Once mated to an external WA "wet" lens many times they don't give you as super wide a view as you'd like.

The Fantasea housing's rectangular "snoot" while having 67mm threads also has an option of the F Series Lens (an AIR lens) that restores the 24mm focal length underwater for lots less $$$$. I've used one for 4 years and found it fine for WA shooting.

You can pop it on and off on a dive (it floats) and unless shooting something MUCH bigger (whales) it has been my go to for the Canon G7X II and III.

Look under my name for posts and you'll see many samples for Mantas to whale sharks and more.

David Haas
Stow OH

IMG_1613.jpgIMG_2447.jpgIMG_1351.jpegIMG_1409.jpegIMG_1364.jpegIMG_3291.jpeg

As a long time user of the Canon G7X and G7X II I don't know if the INON UWL-S100 ZM80 would be a good choice match.

The built in Canon G7X series lens 24-100mm has to pull back in most housings at 24mm - 28mm. Once mated to an external WA "wet" lens many times they don't give you as super wide a view as you'd like.

The Fantasea housing's rectangular "snoot" while having 67mm threads also has an option of the F Series Lens (an AIR lens) that restores the 24mm focal length underwater for lots less $$$$. I've used one for 4 years and found it fine for WA shooting.

You can pop it on and off on a dive (it floats) and unless shooting something MUCH bigger (whales) it has been my go to for the Canon G7X II and III.

Look under my name for posts and you'll see many samples for Mantas to whale sharks and more.

David Haas
Stow OH

View attachment 689302View attachment 689303View attachment 689304View attachment 689305View attachment 689306View attachment 689307
The INON UWL-S100 ZM80 has to be used on 80mm focal length. it gives me 149.8° wide angle, that is much wider than 24mm.

I'm looking someone who also uses the same INON lens.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-01 at 18.35.46.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-01 at 18.35.46.png
    662.4 KB · Views: 115
Ahhhh........OK, I didn't realize it was designed to make a telephoto focal length into that wide a view.

Maybe it will work :)

Good luck!

Just read on Inon's web site to achieve 149.8 degrees angle of view you'll need to add the glass dome unit also.

That will be a fairly large glass dome hanging off the front of 67mm threads on any housing.

The INON UWL-S100 ZM80 by itself only gives about 100 degrees angle of view but is pretty compact.

Just a thought......

Just read on Inon's web site to achieve 149.8 degrees angle of view you'll need to add the glass dome unit also.

That will be a fairly large glass dome hanging off the front of 67mm threads on any housing.

The INON UWL-S100 ZM80 by itself only gives about 100 degrees angle of view but is pretty compact.

Just a thought......
You are right

How the lens with the dome is big and heavy you can see in attached photo

Do you think Fantasea front 67mm threads are strong enough to hold 600g lens outside the water ?

Attachments

• inon-domelensunit2_uwl-s100zm80_with_dc48.jpg
    inon-domelensunit2_uwl-s100zm80_with_dc48.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 103
Alex C,

The threads are probably fine although when I've used a heavy lens on my Fantasea housings I generally support and carry it by the lens barrel.

That way the HOUSING is kind of hanging off the LENS rear barrel.

Fantasea makes a nice float collar for their wide UWL-09f and UWL-09f PRO (Glass dome) which helps some with negative buoyancy in the water.

David Haas
Stow OH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom