Canon G11 Release

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yay for a better sensor and fewer frickin MPs!!

Check out this discussion of new developments by other manufacturers. From the article:
The new sensor in the F200EXR, though, goes a step further. In what’s called EXR mode, it can merge two adjacent photosites, in effect doubling the light collected at that spot on the sensor. Of course, this trick also halves the megapixels — you get 6-megapixel shots instead of 12. But amazingly enough, in low light, those 6-megapixel shots are actually sharper and more detailed than the 12-megapixel shots from the same camera.

Check out this discussion of new developments by other manufacturers. From the article:

They also use the biggest sensor of anyone..... and I was right with them on every camera from the F10 on up... until they started making lens that have a terribly soft focus as you get to the edges...Have not seen any images to check with the f200, but Canon has done a great job with their higher end P&S cameras...so I jumped ship to Canon...

Note: Fuji cases are also much better built, and smaller and have all the controls..

Thing is that the S90 with the f2.0 lens@ISO100 will respond equivalent to the G10 f2.8 lens@ISO200, all things equal and they are not since the S90 has a better sensor all around. The faster lens alone reduces noise by default and that coupled with improved sensor lens should result in dramatically reduced noise.

The Fuji F200 lens is only f3.3, that is a stop and a half slower than the S90 at f2.0, huge difference.

N

They also use the biggest sensor of anyone..... and I was right with them on every camera from the F10 on up... until they started making lens that have a terribly soft focus as you get to the edges...Have not seen any images to check with the f200, but Canon has done a great job with their higher end P&S cameras...so I jumped ship to Canon...

Note: Fuji cases are also much better built, and smaller and have all the controls..

I've got the F200. Posted some pics from Cancun just a week or so ago. You can check them out and see what you think. My first time doing u/w photos, so if they suck, that may not be a reflection of the camera, but of the operator!

I wonder if it will shoot TTL in manual? That (and shutter lag) are the main reasons I upgraded to a 23 pound SLR system.

Back
Top Bottom