Canon G10 - What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beach Camera and Buydig.com are east coast, they were $457. I've bought from both (same outfit?) and no complaints, fast service. (No complaints about B&H either.)

User's Manual will tell you how to set it for RAW. If you get the camera and can't figure it out just do another post. Canon specs say 378 RAW pics on an 8GB card, so you would think 756 on a 16GB but I've gotten more than that on a 16GB card. Go for a Class 6/SDHC card, supposed to be a bit faster write/read but not sure it is noticeable on a G-10 (I've got a couple Transcend brand 16GB cards, no probs w/ them).

Might want a spare battery (though they do last well--200-300 pics on a charge, using flash & LCD for each shot). Ck Amazon for cards and spare battery--I did not get a Canon NB-7L spare, went w/ a Power 2000 off-brand, no probs so far. (maybe around $15.w/ shipping ?) Next wk eh? Good luck, hope you get one. // ww

how do i shoot with "RAW" mode? My guess is the files are huge if you're recommending a few 32g cards.

I checked a few online places and the delivery time is too long (i need by next week) so i'm going to try some local places and see if they will price match.

You guys know of any good online places, best prices i found were at Amazon.
Shooting in RAW mode is just a setting in the menu.
USING the RAW files however is not quite as straight forward as using the JPG files as you cant just open them in any picture viewer/editor like you can with JPGs.
If you use a program that support RAW however the RAW files stor MUCH more data (which is why they are bigger) than the JPGs and you can do amazing improvements on the pictures you take quite easilly.

Example:

Taken without any flash. You cant turn dirt to gold, but you can atleast turn dirt into usable for web..

how do i shoot with "RAW" mode? My guess is the files are huge if you're recommending a few 32g cards.

I checked a few online places and the delivery time is too long (i need by next week) so i'm going to try some local places and see if they will price match.

You guys know of any good online places, best prices i found were at Amazon.

You don't have to have that big a card... 8 gig is good (with raw and JPEG) for almost 200 images.

It is a feature you turn on... no big deal.

I have several 8 gig and a couple 16 gig cards.. but would be happy just using one 8 gig each diving day.

I see Amazon and Newegg.com are both out of stock (my two favorite places to buy from)..

The camera is selling very well it seems.

this camera is going to be used on a 10 day liveaboard, plus about two weeks in Florida with sporadic dives here and there...plus some land photos of course :)

You guys think x2 16g should be ok?

Do a Google on Bingo Cameras before you buy--the "too good to be true" prices usually ("ALWAYS"?) are...if you check the complaints listed you'll see what I mean. Skip any lenses, filters etc. until you dive the camera and know what you really want (not many fit a Canon housing anyway). Basically I'd suggest saving up for an external strobe but do look into a spare battery so you can alternate recharging and always have a "good to go" battery available. Oh, maybe a good lanyard like ScubaToys sells? This one works great, very secure:
Cetacea CRL3HD Lanyard reviews and discounts, Cetecea

I'm usually diving for a couple weeks at a time somewhere, don't always have access to downloading the cards if I elect to not bring a laptop so 16GB cards work for me but sure, 8GB are fine when you can clear the cards as needed. Personal preference. // ww

Personally I preferr having 1 card for each dive. Not because Ill fill them up on one dive, but because its a bit less hassle for my workflow. Im trying to arrange pics after date and dive and thats a bit easier if I dont have to look at times and stuff rather than just stuff in "card 1" and put it in the "dive 1" folder.. On atleast 2 different, independent harddrives.

yeah, just read about Bingo....if it's too good to be true it usually is....$380 for that camera is just too low

I've found a few places with low prices, but the UW case is out of stock...i think i might go with Broadway photo b/c the camera is $430 there and comes with full US warranty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom