Canon G10 vs. G11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colin Gray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Am wanting to upgrade camera (currently using Canon SD600). Any thoughts on the Canon G10 vs new Canon G11?

If the price is within $50.00 I'd get the newer G11.

Both are great and when housed in an Ikelite hosing with their TTL circuitry can produce great shots.

I'm getting one soon and I have (had) a G10. So I"m sold on the changes a G11 can do.....

David Haas

David Haas Underwater Photography

what about housing issues? Will the G-11 fit in the Fishye?

I have a canon g11 with a standard canon housing. so far the pictures are really nice but im not using the camera to its full potential (equipment limitations)

A major difference between the G10 and the G11 is megapixels. The G10 is 15 and G11 is 10.

It may not seem important but for cropping purposes it is. If you are one of those people like me who crops almost every underwater photo I shoot megapixels are of major importance.

A major difference between the G10 and the G11 is megapixels. The G10 is 15 and G11 is 10.

It may not seem important but for cropping purposes it is. If you are one of those people like me who crops almost every underwater photo I shoot megapixels are of major importance.

I'd be surprised if this a serious concern. I have yet to read any comparisons, but based on the size of the lens and pixel sizes, I would not expect the G10 to take full advantage of 15 megapixels. The lens is simply too small and the camera is too inexpensive to have top quality diffraction-limited, achromatic lenses. This means that the lenses can't resolve enough detail to take full advantage of the extra 5 MP. If anything I would prefer the G11 as a similarly sized 10 MP sensor should have lower noise that a 15MP at any given ISO and a high ISO can be useful underwater.

Moreover, if you really need to crop that much it would be best to get closer to your subject, or get a dSLR that can have better lenses.

Consider the comparison of the 10 MP Rebel XS and the G10 here

Canon PowerShot G10 Review: 20. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

At ISO 100 the G10 is doing very well, but by ISO 400

Canon PowerShot G10 Review: 21. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

the larger sensor with fewer MP is much better than the G10.

I'm aware that the G11 has the same size sensor as the G11 and the results may not be that big a difference, but the point is that 15 MP isn't very important if the camera is not up to it in any but the best situations.

Consider the comparison of the 10 MP Rebel XS and the G10 here

Canon PowerShot G10 Review: 20. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

At ISO 100 the G10 is doing very well, but by ISO 400

Canon PowerShot G10 Review: 21. Compared to...: Digital Photography Review

the larger sensor with fewer MP is much better than the G10.

I'm aware that the G11 has the same size sensor as the G11 and the results may not be that big a difference, but the point is that 15 MP isn't very important if the camera is not up to it in any but the best situations.

Comparing a DSLR with a point and shoot is apples and oranges. No point and shoot can stand up to a DSLR. The comparison is of no value. One either chooses to go with a DSLR or with a point and shoot and accepts what goes with them. I am one of those people that will not spend the money on a DSLR and the lenses and ports. Quality point and shoot is fine with me and the G10 along with some other high end models and/or brands can accomplish that.

As for cropping, some subjects won't allow you to get very close so cropping is the alternative.

I never shoot at higher than ISO 200 for non-strobe shots and always use ISO 80 for strobe shots. Digital noise has not been an issue at ISO 200 or less so long as the distance to the subject is not great.

I'm no camera expert but my guess is Canon went with a lower MP on the G11 over the G10 to accommodate higher ISO for lower light conditions. No doubt Canon did that for land use purposes.

I'm no camera expert but my guess is Canon went with a lower MP on the G11 over the G10 to accommodate higher ISO for lower light conditions. No doubt Canon did that for land use purposes.

No, instead they did it for all uses, a higher sensitivity sensor with improved dynamic range and less noise across the board is a real improvement unlike jacking the MP count upward. At any magnification the reduced MP count would effect the picture would be offset by better picture quality and reduced noise. N

As it happens, I am an optics researcher. I'm well aware that dSLRs and point and shoots are different, but my main point is that the G10 is only 15mp on paper. The lenses in the camera are just not good enough to image accurately enough to take full advantage of the chip. The pixels in a G10 are about 1.7 microns across. whereas the smallest Airy disk that an F2.8 lens similar in size to the G10's is about 3 microns. this means pixels smaller than about 3 micons will not give more information. You may think that the crop has more information as it will have a larger pixel count, but it won't have any more information about the scene captured.

Back
Top Bottom