Canon EOS 7D owners...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swgdesign

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am in the process of deciding on whether I should buy a D90,D300s or a EOS 7D.

All are within my price range and all have benefits and drawbacks but I have no idea which model suits me better, I guess it comes to how they feel in my ahnds, right?

Could other owners please explain what swayed their vote to buy the 7D? :)

Note: It's my first dSLR upgrading from a Canon IXUS + numerous wet lenses, I know a little and have read about all said models but it's a really difficult decision to make. I'll do as much land based as underwater photography.

THanks
Simon

The 7D is (to me) the best combination of IQ, ease of use and best video quality. Frankly the d90 doesn't belong in that group, it is not quite the camera the other two are.
Go to your camera store and play, buy the one that feels best.
Bill

Have and use both D90 and 7D (and also have and use both Nikon D3 and D2xs). In my opinion the simple answer is if you are taking stills save money and get the D90. It does everything you need it to do. If you want good video get the 7D (D90 has video but not in the same class as 7D). For most stills applications 12 vs 18 mb is not very relevant. For underwater, the housing needs to be considered with the camera as a package along with the lenses and port system. There is no use having controls if you can't access them easily or lenses if no practical/suitable port. I have been using Aquatica housings for many years and think they are great. In this price range I would also consider the new Nikon D7000 (which looks good although I haven't used it). Again, if stills were priority, I would get that but the 7D if I wanted decent video as well.

Coming from several digital Rebels and a 40D, the 7d was a logical next choice. I didn't want full frame because I'd have to replace some of my lenses and I wanted the 8FPS vs the 3FPS of the 5DMII for shooting whales and eagles.

My housing is currently on order and should arrive this week so I haven't housed my 7D yet but will be soon. Can't comment on the Nikons, other than the few I've tried to use, the menus are horrible since I'm so used to Canon's.

One of my better 7D shots -

Yeah....I would go with the 7D. I have one. I chose it because of the awesome frames per second rate for sports photography as well the new focusing system. I do like the menu better than the ones I have seen on Nikon's but I have never used a Nikon. Chances are that pictures taken with either wouldn't be noticeably different to the un trained eye....or anyone else's for that matter.

I chose 7D primarily for topside shooting but found terrific deal on used mint condition Ikelite housing so added DS-161 strobe and have had it on 2 trips. Consider housing carefully though as Ikelite is very large and a pain to travel with! Depends on kind of UW photography you want to focus on.

I am in the process of deciding on whether I should buy a D90,D300s or a EOS 7D.

All are within my price range and all have benefits and drawbacks but I have no idea which model suits me better, I guess it comes to how they feel in my ahnds, right?

Could other owners please explain what swayed their vote to buy the 7D? :)

Note: It's my first dSLR upgrading from a Canon IXUS + numerous wet lenses, I know a little and have read about all said models but it's a really difficult decision to make. I'll do as much land based as underwater photography.

THanks
Simon
7d is one of the hottest cameras in our rental right now. We are renting a sea and sea housing for that camera and everyone loves it. It is only second to the awesome 5 d albeit the 5d is slower for shooting stills, the video on both is amazing
Get the 7d great camera

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom