canon elph

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure exactly which Elph she has but she just returned from a trip to the Keys where she tried out the housing. Very nice pictures!

Look here... to find out which housing fits your camera.

BTW....Welcome to Scuba Board!

Thank you very much (both for the welcome and the info) - that website looks very useful.

I see that one of the cases has a wide angle port - I had thought the Elph would be rather limited because of its lens limitations, but that might well help.

It takes really quite superb pictures on land - the colour saturation and white balance are really good, and better than on some much more expensive cameras I have used. And 8.5 x 11s are very nice with it - using a Canon S820 printer.

I shall look further into this. I am not a very experienced diver (25 dives) and have only used the underwater cardboard throw-aways - but a recent trip to Curacao has energized me, and I think I might enjoy learning about UW photography. I am presently looking seriously at the new Nikon D100 to replace my Minolta Maxxum anyway for dry land, but the Canon sure is a lot easier to lug around.

I am starting a series of cold water dives this weekend doing the PADI AOW course - heretofore spoiled by warm water only. If my enthusiasm survives the weekend, I will spend more time looking around these boards. (There is a LOT of stuff here!)

Thanks again.

I am definitely a beginer photographer (wouldn't even call my slef one actually) and I can take some pretty slick underwater pictures. If you want to see my baracuda picture just e-mail me at kevin@rooney.us

I have the digital elph S300 and the casing. Al functionality on land is possible underwater.

Just picked up an S330 Digital Elph (II), canon, and the case from Canon. Took 'em to Key Largo earlier this month instead of my Nikon Coolpix 950 with Ikelite case.

The Elph's a blast. With the case, it fits in my BC pocket.

The pix are good...you have to do color correction, of course, inside your computer cause there's no one I know of who has filters for underwater work that fit this camera housing.

And experiment with the flash...good news is you can experiment. You can turn it off, etc.

The case is rates to 30 meters or 100 feet.

I dove to 123 feet or so with it. Twice. The second time it flooded. (and killed the camera). The flood may have been due to less than perfect inspection and maintenance of the o-ring. I was spoiled by the Ikelite (indestructible, low maintenance, brute).

So, what have I done? Went out and bought another S330 Digital Elph! And some new CF cards. [I got the first Elph 'for free' as a gift from American Express Memebership Rewards...57,600 points if I remember...

That link was extremely useful! My father GAVE me a not quite two year old Nikon Cool Pix 800 that he had "outgrown" since learning photography. I was just hoping and praying that there was a housing out there for it and....THERE IS!!!!!!!!! YAY! Now all I have to do is save my $$$ for and I can take pics. Thanks a MILLION for that link.

:bounce:

SCUBAKristey once bubbled...
That link was extremely useful! My father GAVE me a not quite two year old Nikon Cool Pix 800 that he had "outgrown" since learning photography. I was just hoping and praying that there was a housing out there for it and....THERE IS!!!!!!!!! YAY! Now all I have to do is save my $$$ for and I can take pics. Thanks a MILLION for that link.

:bounce:

I have a Nikon CP880 and love it. At the time, the only housing I could find was almost $800 and I'd still have to buy the strobe! With my Olympus set-up I can leave it set for underwater and use the Nikon on land...works for us!

How have your Elph photos been with just the built in flash? Would it be necessary to get a strobe?

The Ikelite assembly with strobe package is $1000 list (discount about $850 at B&H) whereas the simple Canon case is about $200.

I am wondering whether the extra $650 is worth it, or should I just save it towards my next purchase (like a Nikon d100) and just go with the cheaper case for now. Certainly, it looks easy to take along - not quite like a big slr.

Comments?

John Mathieson once bubbled...
How have your Elph photos been with just the built in flash? Would it be necessary to get a strobe?

The Ikelite assembly with strobe package is $1000 list (discount about $850 at B&H) whereas the simple Canon case is about $200.

I am wondering whether the extra $650 is worth it, or should I just save it towards my next purchase (like a Nikon d100) and just go with the cheaper case for now. Certainly, it looks easy to take along - not quite like a big slr.

Comments?

The Elph isn't worth a $650 housing. I'd save and put that towards a better set-up and go for cheap right now.

Remember, too, that digital cameras are changing very fast. What you buy now will more than likely be way out of date in two years. By the time you are ready to put some serious money into it, you'll be able to get a much better camera.

Just my 2¢

That certainly makes sense - the Strobe package looks like it can be used for somethng else, but then you are stuck with a $500 case for a $300 camera. Even a $200 case is a bit much, I suppose. The flash for the Elph is really only useful within 7-10 ft on land - it is just too small for much beyond that - I suppose I could do some close ups with it.

What do you think of the new digital SLRs? The Nikon D100 looks extremely good, except they didn't put in a decent data transfer system - no firewire or USB 2.

Even so, I am really REALLY tempted to get one. Anyone have comments on the Nikon D100, Fuji S2 or the Canon D60? There is a lot of good info on Steve's Digicam website http://www.steves-digicams.com/ - but there is so much detail there - I would rather hear what a real user thinks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom