Canon Announces Powershot S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

muzikbiz22

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well, it looks like the wait is over, at least for some. The S100 is now listed on the Canon USA website, and there is a "preview" on DPReview. Quite a few new (and improved) features;

24-120mm (equivalent) lens range, F2.0-5.9, built-in neutral density filter
12.1 MP 1/1.7" Canon CMOS sensor
DIGIC 5 image processor
ISO 80-6400
2.3 fps continuous shooting (9.6 fps for 8 frames in High-Speed burst mode)
Full HD (1080p24) movie recording; H.264 compression, MOV format
Optical zoom in movie mode
Super slow motion movie recording (640 x 480 @ 120fps, 320 x 340 @ 240 fps)
Direct movie record button
Built-in GPS unit with image tagging and logger functions

No need to be remorseful yet. With the longer zoom range and 24mm lens and other specs, it is definitely a winner above water. However that longer zoom range and 24mm lens just might not make it as viable for use in a housing and wet lenses.

I think we should wait for the housing and wet lens manufacturers determine how far they will go in developing the gear that will make this viable for underwater use.

The long zoom will ruin the camera for underwater use. Not good. Glad I have two S90s. No longer will all wide angle lenses or even any wet mount lens be useful. Perhaps a dry mount similar to the FIX G series. oh well, as always, they ruin a good thing with the super zoom silliness. Too bad.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom