Canon A720IS vs. Canon G9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

I'm new and have a question. I'm not a diver but a surfer. I'm interested in buying the Canon A720IS with the Canon WP-DC16 housing. In using this combination above water in the water, are there water spots visible on the image? I'm not ready to spend the thousands on housings and ports yet and thought this might be an alternative for the time being.

Thanks.

Look thru this Cozumel album...I think I have 3 pics taken like your talking about after a nite dive(on the surface)...don't recall any water spots but I could be wrong...GEAUXtiger/CZMUWNov07 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

EDIT: I use an A570IS but they about the same camera & housing....

With the CHDK option the A650 looks to me to be a winner. 12MP underwater camera for UKP 330. (650 USD approx). It will probably cost at least this for the u/w case for a G9. An what benefits do you loose ? The only one I can see is the hot shoe, and that is more than made up for the extra benefits you achieve with CHDK flash control with an underwater slave flash.

The CHDK option works with 4GB cards so that compares well with the 37 shots per dive maximum I used to get with my Nikonos.

The one issue with using CHDK is that most editing programs do not recognize the RAW file. You need to run a conversion program first. I am using a MAC and have had a hard time finding a program to do the conversion.

The G9 has a larger screen. My old geezer eyes have a hard time seeing the screen of my A640 when it's in the housing.

get a G7 and use CHDK. if bucks are no object.

I just got a 720IS and the Canon housing. Kind of wish I ponied up for the G7. but yeah, I got the whole rig for under 500.00. That includes a bunch of cards ballast weights and 8 Mh batteries. A deal.

But don't get bogged down in Megapixelationistity.

8 megs will blow up to 16x22. It is really about technique and understanding how the camera works. A well shot 8 meg will always look bettter than a poorly shot 11meg.

oh and first post - howdy all

Can lens-adapter/wide angle lens fits the Canon WP-DC16 housing? Or do I need to use the whole wide-angle lens setup with Ikelite housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom