Canon A720IS vs. Canon G9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

akay47

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to underwater photography and I want to get a digital camera that works well both above and below the water (for my trip to the Riviera Maya). And I'm trying to decide either between the Canon A720IS or the Canon G9. And I was wondering if I should go one way or the other?

Not an even comparison. The A720IS is the older 8 megapixel model and the G9 is the new 12 megapixel model.

The sister camera to the G9 is the A650IS. Both are 12 megapixel. Both have the same CCD but the G9 has a hotshoe and RAW capability. The A650IS uses 4 AA batteries and the G9 has a proprietary battery.

If you can afford the price difference, which I don't think is all that much, go with the G9. If you go with the Ikelite housing for either model instead of the Canon housing the price difference is considerably higher.

Here is a sample using the Canon A650.

I'm thinking of maybe getting 2 canon 570 and an ikelite case and I'll have a camera for above water and one for below and if it floods just switch in the other one I'm still not 100% sure though.:confused:

akay47,

Another fine "A" series Canon camera that has a lot of fans. I would guess you will be quite pleased with that camera also.

Is there really a big advantage to the G9 over the 720? Are there any advantages of the 720 over the G9? I would like to save the money and buy the 720 but not if I regret it later.

I decided to buy the canon 570 with its underwater housing. But I'm not sure how i should carry it onto a plane? Should i get a Pelican case? any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have always just put my housing and camera in my carry-on. I used the box the housing came in and would repack it using the supplied bubble wrap. Small box so it doesn't take up much space and cheap.

I decided to buy the canon 570 with its underwater housing. But I'm not sure how i should carry it onto a plane? Should i get a Pelican case? any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the A570 with Canon UW housing and made 2 plane trips(Little Cayman & Cozumel) & 1 Flower Garden trip with it since last July...All I have done is wrapped a hand towell for 'padding' around the UW housing & put it in my carryon & kept the camera(& SD cards) in a small camera case tied onto the outside of my carry-on for regular toptide use.....Now saying that, I'm careful with the carryon & don't let any porters ect fool with it--- in other words, I HANDLE MY CARRY-ON...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom