Canoe rental Silver River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was reading thru Ned Deloach's book and have thought about drifting the Silver River with my GF. We are going to Ginnie on 2/14, and thought we might hit Silver River on the way down to Tampa on 2/15 before going to the FL state fair that evening.

I looked around online and didnt find anywhere in Ocala or at the Silver River State Park that rented canoes. We have kayaks, but they are sea kayaks, not quite as stable as diveyaks for carrying dive gear. We were hoping to put in (if we could find somewhere to rent) at the marina thing on SR40 at the Oclawaha (however you spell it) River bridge and canoe up the Silver River and drift back down - after a rest and lunch. We have however come upon a stumbling block of not finding anywhere to rent a canoe from - any ideas?

Dutchfin told me that the river traffic can be bad, but its cold enough outdoors at this time to i feel to ward off all but the most ardent boat user and so the traffic should be less than in the summer. I understand there are other places we can go, but this was just going to be a nice leisurely afternoon, and i know the springs are going to be packed on sunday afternoons as we found at Paradise. I spoke to Curt about it and he does trips on his pontoon boat down Silver River, but only when there are 4+ divers and its $140 for the pontoon rental (between however many divers). So that option is only open if others say they might like to go - this i dont see as all that popular. So, that is why i ask about canoe rentals.

Thanks again, Simon

I phoned up the State Park and whilst they are still a few months away from having their own fleet, they suggested Colby Woods (352 625 1122) which offers canoes for $25 a day, launching from the NE side of the Oclawaha River bridge on SR40. So we will aim at 2/15, sometime around lunchtime (morning for church in Ocala), paddle up river an hour or two i reckon. Then park the canoe, don gear and drift back down river. Its cheaper than a commercial pontoon and is on our schedule. Also like i said, its on our way down to Tampa, so hopefully we can do the canoeing and diving by 3/4 and get on down to Tampa for the evening.

Would anyone else want to try this? Or of course those with motor boats would be more than welcome as long as you are diving and not running us over!!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom