Cannon Mark 5D Underwater Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
C

CDO

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking to purchase a Ikelite Canon Mark 5D IV Underwater housing. Up to this point have been using GoPro or Insta 360 but figured I had the camera so I would like to use it. I got a quote for ~$5200 for the housing, 2 lease ports, 2 strobes, ball arms, and some other cables and such. Being a beginner, I am trying to figure out what is necessary vs what can I buy later. I don't plan on diving deeper than ~100 ft initially. Specifically the strobes (for two of them) run ~$1000, not including all the arms and ball joints.
Just looking to get an opinion on it outside of the sales person.

The housing is $1700, the macro port (for the 100 macro) is $600, and a dome port for the 8-15 is $600 so $2900 for the housing and the 2 most used ports. Strobes can be pricey. What I would more likely do is get a used Nauticam system (much more robust) for the same price ($2k at Backscatter) and then you have a much more broad choice of strobes.
Bill

The housing is $1700, the macro port (for the 100 macro) is $600, and a dome port for the 8-15 is $600 so $2900 for the housing and the 2 most used ports. Strobes can be pricey. What I would more likely do is get a used Nauticam system (much more robust) for the same price ($2k at Backscatter) and then you have a much more broad choice of strobes.
Bill
A contrarian opinion
FWIW, Im very happy with my Ikelite housing

Thanks for the above information. I guess my bigger question is are 2 strobes necessary for starting or is one good and is there anything that is not necessary for a beginner too get going.

Two strobes are nice, but you certainly can use just one. Take a look at some of the work by Richard Salas, he is the king of single strobe use.
BVA
Richard is an extremely skilled photographer, and is a HUGE proponent of backlighting. Hard to do underwater with only one source of light

We dive with Richard a lot and he is indeed extremely skilled, but often does a lot of diving with a single strobe. We just finished a trip with him to South Australia, great guy
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom