Cannister lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grantmac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How critical is a side gland for cable routing and what sort of cable lengths are people running?
Is there a decent way of running a typical cannister with inline gland and 44" cable?

You mean for sidemount? Not critical. I have seen plenty of guides in MX using regular inline connections to the canister, it is common practice.

So do I and I find it perfectly comfortable - for whatever my non-expert opinion may be worth. Just couldn’t find a good deal on a “sidemount” lamp. Can’t remember the cable length, though.

In my experience, a side gland isn't critical. I've successfully used an inline/straight gland in both BM and SM configurations.

However, I find that I like the side gland better than an inline/straight gland.

My current thought is to attach the can to the shoulder harness just above the bottom plate (Xdeep Tec 2.0) and eventually get around to replacing the cord with a longer one.
Based on measurement I need at least another 6" of cord to butt mount.
This particular light has the switch on the canister.

My current thought is to attach the can to the shoulder harness just above the bottom plate (Xdeep Tec 2.0) and eventually get around to replacing the cord with a longer one.
Based on measurement I need at least another 6" of cord to butt mount.
This particular light has the switch on the canister.
Like a spine mount beside the weight pockets?

How are you currently running your cord?

Like a spine mount beside the weight pockets?

How are you currently running your cord?

Yes exactly where I'm talking. Would require switching on before donning.

Don't currently have a can light, just a cordless primary.

So I'm actually wondering the opposite. I have a sidemount gland but I also do backmount for local beach diving. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to not strain the cable gland while in back mount.

I've heard people with SM glands point them to the rear when using in BM.
I just picked up a Dive Rite can with 44" cord that I'm going to replace with one of +52". Going to skip finding a 90 degree gland.

So I'm actually wondering the opposite. I have a sidemount gland but I also do backmount for local beach diving. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to not strain the cable gland while in back mount.
Butt mount it (like you would in sidemount) and run the cord up beside the tank and over your shoulder (like you would in sidemount).

It’s probably not DIR or whatever, but it works.

My battery is like this, then the cord goes up and under the one velcro that that holds the weight pouch from the middle, from there it comes nicely to my hand. I have 135cm cord on my Nanight Tech 2, it's sidemount version, just longer cord than the regular model. I'm 193cm tall and 135cm cord is quite optimal for me when mounted like this.

1690544556685.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom