Cannister Light on Flight to Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brewone0to

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Leaving in the morning so I hope someone knows. AA has no clue when I called them.
Can it be carried on? Does the batteries need to be removed?
I've got the user manual inside so when they ask what it is.

we've never had any problems taking 2 sets of HID canister lights as carry on. They just always get a visual inspection (very quick and cursory) and a swab for explosive residue. We leave the batteries in but disconnected to avoid them being accidentally turned on. We have never been asked what they are by any American TSA person. The Georgetown, Bahamas girl who was at security couldn't recognize batteries as being batteries but that was just because they are very ignorant there. They made us put the batteries in checked luggage. But no problems in Cancun airport. They can tell a battery from a bottle of tequila there :)

What we do is carry both sets of regs and lights in large regulator bag. When I put it in the x-ray machine I make eye contact with the person behind it and tell them it's scuba gear. They usually just say "ok". But I think it helps to give them a heads up. The TSA seems to know what they are looking at. Miami and here in Anchorage they all inspect it very quickly. Same for Seattle when we returned this year from Cozumel and went through the second check after passport control.

You should have no problems Tammy. Happy travels.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom