Cannister light buildup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did you mount the drivers on? Glue?

Same thermal glue with chips down to help dissipate heat.
You cant do that with the P7 driver from Kai as its sandwiched together and has chips on both sides.

Any recommendations on how to mount that one?

sandwich it between 2 pieces of aluminium??????

Check this driver out

Looks perfect so I brought one but then I read the review.

Could have been a bad chip? I'm not gonna pass any judgement with only 1 reviewer who may or maynot know how to read a multi-meter.

Maybe I will hold out for a MC-E. More heatsinking options, more driving options... Looks like the optics for the XR-E's will work on the MC-E since they are the same size.

Yeah I thought the same thing. Will let you know when mine arrives.
The MC-E may be the same size but does it have the same focal path? If this is different then the beam will be different.
It does look interesting with the ability to wire it in many configurations.

Thanks fellas, I think I will set this up for LED. I wasn't aware that they had such focusable beams.

350xfire, thanks as those are some 2 great websites for just everything LED. What do you think of the TerraLUX TLE-300 550 Lumen Upgrade? Here is the link I think I got this from you on a previous thread. TerraLUX TLE-300 550 Lumen Upgrade for 4-6 D Cell MagLites - NEW! - TLTLE300
Is this the brightest out there as of now? Do you think this will work?

Howdy!

I just got one of the TerraLux TLE-300s in the mail last night, and promptly threw it into my mag light to test it out. It's BRIGHT! Very nice light and a tightly focused beam. It's nice that it already has the reflectors for each of the LEDs, so that takes a huge hassle off my back. The dive light I'm making will have a canister with 10x C cells (about 5000-6000 mAh at 12 volts). The nice thing about the TLE-300 is that it has that internal DC-DC switching regulator to automatically convert the supply voltage to the LED's proper operating voltage. At 12 watts power consumption for the TLE-300, this should draw about 1 amp at 12 volts and "theoretically" run 5-6 hours, but in reality I'm expecting about maybe 85% of that due to inefficiencies in the switching regulator in the TLE-300 and battery characteristics....

Now to order the plastics and o-rings for the Canister, and aluminum to machine the light head out of. :)

Thanks guys for your help. So speaking of a light head, what do you suggest?

C or D cell? Are there any specific or step by step instructions on how/where to cut? Tools needed? Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom