Canister/Primary light held in Left Hand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've had at least one UTD (want to use the correct term here) instructor tell me NOT to switch the light when I'm using my rear dump. That the team should be able to handle not being able to see my light for the few seconds it is used.
I don't agree, since it's not the main reason. If you wave with your light in different directions that don't have anything with your direction or intentions, you compromise concept of passive and active communication by sending wrong signals. Plus, when diving single file, you'll blind your buddy.

I tend to use my right hand to work the inflator.
Which is IMO wrong.

I've had at least one UTD (want to use the correct term here) instructor tell me NOT to switch the light when I'm using my rear dump. That the team should be able to handle not being able to see my light for the few seconds it is used.

That instructor doesn't do much cave diving, does he ...

Passive communication is not the only issue here. As MonkSeal pointed out, not switching the light head to dump the wing could cause you to blind the buddy behind you. On a cave dive, that would not be a very "buddy friendly" thing to do. Furthermore, on a cave dive you should be constantly referencing the line ahead of you (the lead diver especially needs to be doing this), and shining the light backwards is not conducive to that.

Peter Guy:
This, by the way, is much easier to do when scootering than switching the light to the right hand, IMO.
Two words - "thumb loop". :D

Peter Guy:
I tend to use my right hand to work the inflator.
I do that sometimes on swim dives when running the primary reel (when I am usually descending and need to add air), but in general I prefer to use my left hand for adjusting my buoyancy

BTW waiving back and forth has particular meaning to people behind you, it means: "I don't see your light, give me light." If you do this without obvious reason you're confusing your team.

Re switching light when dumping. I've had at least one UTD (want to use the correct term here) instructor tell me NOT to switch the light when I'm using my rear dump.

I can just imagine the mess of getting the light head stuck between a bottle and my body.

Best to switch. All upsides, no downsides.

Re switching light when dumping. I've had at least one UTD (want to use the correct term here) instructor tell me NOT to switch the light when I'm using my rear dump. That the team should be able to handle not being able to see my light for the few seconds it is used. This, by the way, is much easier to do when scootering than switching the light to the right hand, IMO.

There is one time this is appropriate. Its when you have a power inflator failure. Cause your right hand will be shutting down the right post and you don't want to waste time clipping off the light, just go for the butt dump asap.

Otherwise this reaching back to the butt dump with light in hand is a bad habit. Its really intolerable in a cave when you're single file with a buddy behind.

Otherwise this reaching back to the butt dump with light in hand is a bad habit. Its really intolerable in a cave when you're single file with a buddy behind.
I think the UTD instructor who told me this just thought I would be a "thinking diver" and realize the difference between being in a cave and being in OW. When diving situations are different, different techniques just might be more appropriate.

BTW, what cells in a muscle have "memory" anyway?

I think the UTD instructor who told me this just thought I would be a "thinking diver" and realize the difference between being in a cave and being in OW. When diving situations are different, different techniques just might be more appropriate.

BTW, what cells in a muscle have "memory" anyway?

Yeah but that "UTD instructor" hates wet rocks and doesn't switch between "Cave DIR" and "Tech DIR". The rest of us just avoid flashing our light around by using a temporary hold with the right, or a thumb loop when scootering. Although the Gavin/Mako handles work pretty well sans thumb loop.

Whatya gonna do when you're single file scootering a wall?

Whatya gonna do when you're single file scootering a wall?

Why rjack, I'll still be a thinking diver and decide what is the appropriate action depending on the circumstances -- am I #3? are we at the exact same depth or distance from the wall? -- what is the situation at the time? The answer to "Whatya gonna do" depends, isn't that what the brain is for?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom