Canister/Primary light held in Left Hand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the light's goodman on your left, take your right hand and place it on top of the light. Grab the light body with your right hand and slide the goodman off your left.

Dump/add etc

This "top hold" with the right is a temporary hold. Works perfectly and no wild light signals, continue to look at stuff, etc

You'll also use this same "top hold" when you check your SPG. Switch the light to the right hand and keep it pointing forward for good passive communication. If it's dark such as a night dive or in a cave you can illuminate the SPG for a second and get the light back up where your team can see it and know that your OK. Now your SPG is glowing and can be read with only the left hand and the rest of the team doesn't have to look to see what you're doing.

You'll also use the "top hold" when your moving your light cord around your long hose during an OOG.

Thanks guys makes alot of sense, Can anyone direct me to a good DIR gear configuration site. I plan to take the "Intro to Tech" course in the up coming months. Still trying to lay out my base line of whats courses to take. I thought it be good to research before. Call me crazy but I just love reading this stuff.

Thanks guys makes alot of sense, Can anyone direct me to a good DIR gear configuration site. I plan to take the "Intro to Tech" course in the up coming months. Still trying to lay out my base line of whats courses to take. I thought it be good to research before. Call me crazy but I just love reading this stuff.

Here ya go....I think THIS is what you're looking for :D

You'll also use the "top hold" when your moving your light cord around your long hose during an OOG.

Or, even better, you'll route the light cord under the long hose from the get go :p

:popcorn:

I'm up for the age-old debate if you are!

Lol actually its not that old a change, maybe 2-3 yrs.

After Tech1, I had to switch to "over" for Cave1 and 2 and I hate it. But its a beetch going back cause all the new people that are actually still diving with me are "over" too.

Personally I guess I don't give a damn. In the S-drill, just a normal face-to-face one, on a scooter, or midwater with the lighthead clipped off I just fix whatever cord-long hose conflicts need fixing and move on.

I've been routing it "under." I guess I will have to re-learn my habits for fundies...
Definitely :D

Although the are few arguments pro "under", in "over" approach there's no chance of trapping long hose when you temporarely clipp off light. However, all these arguments have been thrown many time here and at the other forums; I guess there's no need to repeat them over and over again.

Re switching light when dumping. I've had at least one UTD (want to use the correct term here) instructor tell me NOT to switch the light when I'm using my rear dump. That the team should be able to handle not being able to see my light for the few seconds it is used. This, by the way, is much easier to do when scootering than switching the light to the right hand, IMO.

I tend to use my right hand to work the inflator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom