Canister on right, light on left hand??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
After looking at these...

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/equipment

I noticed that the light canister is on the right hip and the actual light is on the left hand. The hose/tube connecting the two runs across the body. What is the rationale behind this? Isn't that creating a snag/hazard situation with the hose looping down?

I might be able to answer my own question...Since you will be horizontal and in the arms out front position, the hose will be against the body. If it were in the right hand in this same position, you'd still have so "loopage". Moving it to the left keep the hose tighter against the body.

Is that the general idea?

DBailey:

I noticed that the light canister is on the right hip and the actual light is on the left hand. The hose/tube connecting the two runs across the body. What is the rationale behind this? Isn't that creating a snag/hazard situation with the hose looping down?

I might be able to answer my own question...Since you will be horizontal and in the arms out front position, the hose will be against the body. If it were in the right hand in this same position, you'd still have so "loopage". Moving it to the left keep the hose tighter against the body.

You'll find that you move it from hand to hand as the situation warrants. The default position is the left hand, which minimizes the snag factor of the cable (as you noted) and because that's the free hand when you're scootering. It's not a big whoop, however.

Left is preferred.

* Deploying the long hose with your right - you won't blind your OOA buddy.

* If you need to get Buddy to the surface, you're controlling his / her inflator with your right hand (face to face) and not blinding your buddy.

* You can read your gauge / BT on your right wrist by simply sliding the corona of the light over to illuminate it.

* You probably grab lobsters with your right hand, mostly... :)

I switch hands when I use my inflator (so buddy doesn't see light flashing all over the place....), and I toss it over my left wrist when operating my DSLR, and I put it around my neck on night dives when I need to write a wet note.

Its not a big whoop, however... :D

---
Ken

DBailey:
I noticed that the light canister is on the right hip and the actual light is on the left hand. The hose/tube connecting the two runs across the body. What is the rationale behind this?
That is the correct placement - canister on right hip, light head in the left hand.

There are two main reasons for placing the canister on the right hip. The first is that it secures the long hose when wrapped, but in such a way that it can be deployed and then restowed easily (typically with just the right hand). The second is that it does not interfere with stage and/or deco bottles, which are worn on the left side. Having the canister at the waist allows it to be accessed easily with the right hand (for turning on and off), and also minimizes the length of the light cord, which further reduces the chances of entanglement.

The reasons for carrying the light head in the left hand, are to prevent you from blinding your buddy when you donate your primary (ever had an 18W HID shoved in your face?) :11:. Finally, if you ever reach a point where you start using a scooter, then the left hand is where you have to carry the light head most of the time, since you are driving the scooter with the right hand. If you carry the light in the left hand from the very beginning, then that helps build muscle memory, which makes the transition to scooter diving much easier.

Since you will be horizontal and in the arms out front position, the hose will be against the body.
That is correct. Ideally, the light cord should be just long enough to reach from the top of the canister to your outstretched left hand.

DBailey:

The other answers are correct too, but the evolution of this is that most people are more comfortable riding a scooter with the right hand. This means the right side of the body has to be clear for streamlining purposes and not have stuff hanging down getting caught in the prop wash. Therefore, stages go on the left. Since stages are on the left, the cannister, which is under the arm and does not affect drag, goes on the right.

Light in left hand is since scooter is in your right hand. Even on scooters when descending and clearing ears, inflating BC and drysuit, the light is switched to the right hand allowing you to see where you are going in a cave situation while performing above tasks. A properly sized thumb loop on the lighthead allows you to still signal while riding a scooter with the light in your right hand but it is doable without the thumb tube. Pre-GUE left hand light when swimming was not stressed, but it does make more sense and makes the transition to a scooter much easier.

Not an explanation, but I wanted to say that, when I started using a canister light, putting the light head on the left hand felt incredibly awkward and wrong, so I carried it on the right. I switched before Fundies, knowing that was what they would teach, and it took a while to feel at all natural. Now it feels strange to put it in the right hand. So it's just a matter of doing something enough times to ingrain it.

Also, remember that those of us who are vertically challenged should have the light cord **shortened** to be just long enough for a full extention of left arm with can on right hip.

what about wrapping the hose around your arm a little bit? Is that not a legit solution?

That's a bad idea because then it's all but impossible to put it in your other hand temporarily to dump gas, check your SPG, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom