Canister light removal question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jersey Diver

Reaction score
Hey All !!! I did a search and read over some posts, but I still have a question. When people are talking about being able to remove a can light do they mean they have two buckles for the waist strap? Or one buckle closer to the can light holding it in place? Last question, when people say ditch a can light do they mean open a buckle or buckles slide the can light off the waist strap and then close the buckle or buckles?

I have the usual buckle to hold the waist strap together. I mount my can light on the waist webbing and use another buckle as a stopper to keep if from sliding around. The buckle that holds the can light in place is on the opposite side as the buckle that holds the waist strap together.

I've never ditched a can light, but I would have to open both buckles, remove the can light, and then replace the waist strap.

Hopefully, someone will post some pictures to clear this up.

I can't imagine ditching a can light before ditching other weight- there just isn't that much negative to a can light- unless it got hung up and you are in zero vis and can't figure out how to disentangle. That's what ditchable weight is for.
Halcyon weight pockets have a separate strap on the outside that closes with a buckle, that is a location for a can light. It is easily removable after the dive, for cleaning/storage.
gomi_

Back in the day, many tech divers would use canister lights with huge, heavy lead acid batteries in them. These things would be 5-10 lbs negatively buoyant. When you have one of these guys with some steel doubles, you usually don't have room for ditchable weight. The can light was the worst-case scenario ditchable weight.

Back
Top Bottom