Canister for PLB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just drew it, gave it to machine shop and they made them for me for $125, as shown, below.

0AA4558E-281B-485B-B783-D9DFBCC6C6E2.jpeg

ACR was so dang huge, I ended up with PLB1 and custom made a smaller case for it from the same machine shop. It works great for 2 years. I took it down to as deep as 134 ft (41 m) several times without any drop of water inside. Here are my signaling devices that I carry for diving all the time. They all fit in my Cressi TraveLight BCD pockets (flashlight, DSMB & reel on my right BCD pocket, the rest in my left BCD pocket)

48F34B88-6C39-4C7A-A7C6-345A7EEF755C.jpeg

To make sure I don’t fumble and drop parts that are not floaty to the sea and sink to the abyss, I tether them (including the case lid).

D00CF1F4-32B9-4235-AC51-841E748E6B78.jpeg

I love that you can see into it to see if it is leaking, but hate what lexan costs. One idea I had if I did go the clear rout is that you could add led strips in there as an emergency beacon too. Since you have no latches I am curious about your lot. I assume they designed it to have a really tight squeeze on the o-rings to keep it locked in until your down enough for water pressure to keep it sealed. Dang! That is a lot smaller than the ACR. I’ll have to look at the specs too. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Dan
I’d keep the axial o-ring like you already have, then add one on the smaller part similar to compression and scraper rings on an engine’s piston if that makes sense.
Yes now I understand. I'm not sure how much backup benefit that would buy you. If it was just an interference fit. then if the primary seal failed. the water pressure would likely just force the smaller o-ring down the lid and flood the container. If you routed a groove then its sealing strength would depend on how tight the fit was to the container surface and the amount of exposure between the surfaces. Another thing to consider would be that the second o-ring may make lid removal more difficult. If you were to get a vacuum and the fit was very tight you may not be able to get it open.

If you were to get a vacuum and the fit was very tight you may not be able to get it open.

Silicone grease it well and prepare it in a cool-dry AC (dense air) room. I have dove with it may be about 200 dives. No problem opening it after each dives.

Yes now I understand. I'm not sure how much backup benefit that would buy you. If it was just an interference fit. then if the primary seal failed. the water pressure would likely just force the smaller o-ring down the lid and flood the container. If you routed a groove then its sealing strength would depend on how tight the fit was to the container surface and the amount of exposure between the surfaces. Another thing to consider would be that the second o-ring may make lid removal more difficult. If you were to get a vacuum and the fit was very tight you may not be able to get it open.
Yeah, I would have o-ring grooves to keep them in place.

Back
Top Bottom