Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DepthCharge:
I just returned from the Riveria Maya. I dove with Pro-Tec out of Playa Del Carmen. Picked me up at the resort. Took me down to Akumal to dive............much better reefs than the northern ones. Also did some caving with them. Best news is that even being picked up, and having a "personal" dive master (my friend only did one days diving) the cost was only $65 for air add $15 for Nitrox. This is for a two tank boat dive. The cost at the resort was $85 for a two tank dive, no nitrox. Pro Tec is very accomidating, rebreather friendly, and have some great cave instructors.
Later,
DC

Can you give more info? What hotel did you stay at? Do you have contact info for the dive op you recommended. Even if I don't dive with them this trip, I seem to be in that area often. Was just in Akumal this Summer, and I agree, excellent dive sites!!
Sandi

Hey Sandi - you can get to protec through www.protecdiving.com. They are the main technical diving training centre for the area and consequently a lot of cavers go through there. They do cavern as well. They are about 35 mins down the highway from where you will be...best cat

I have dove with two dive operations in Cancun, and I recommend avoiding them both.

The first was AquaWorld. They are by far the biggest operation and that attitude shows. They are pure cattle boats and have a dangerous attitude of GET IN THE WATER NOW!! For my wife, this was her first salt water dive. In their rush to get everyone in the water, they literally pushed her off the boat with no air on. If we had not already paid for diving in Cozumel for the next day, my wife never would have dove again.

The following year I tried Manta Divers. It was better, but I still highly recommend not diving with them. My tank air was definitely foul. When I mentioned this to the dive master he correctly asked "does it taste oily" and then said that they had been having problems with it. Service was okay, but Ive had much better. When we returned, the owner asked us if we would be back the next day. When we said we were flying out the next day, he was very rude and obviously "dismissed" us.

There are plenty of other dive shops in Cancun, so I highly recommend avoiding these two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom