Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking around for information on dive ops. in Cancun since that's where I'm staying. There is a sub-forum for Cozumel, but it seems there are a lot of mis-placed threads for Cozumel in the main Mexico forum. To answer your question, it does not appear there is a specific place for Cancun except in the main Mexico forum.

Scott Riemer:
I'm looking around for information on dive ops. in Cancun since that's where I'm staying. There is a sub-forum for Cozumel, but it seems there are a lot of mis-placed threads for Cozumel in the main Mexico forum. To answer your question, it does not appear there is a specific place for Cancun except in the main Mexico forum.
Just got home from moon palace. It is a large complex, but they have golf carts to get you around. The moon palace resort is actually 2 resorts together. So you have 10 restaurants to eat at. All the times overlap so you can eat 24 hours a day. The only place that didn’t have very fast service was the lobby bar but all the other restaurants had very fast service. They have an onsite dive shop. It’s Aquaworld. I would not recommend them. Even the locals say not to use them. Our first dive was with them. We were on a boat with 21 divers and 6 dive masters. When we arrived at the dive site, they told the first group to sit on the back of the boat. They just grabbed whatever BC they thought fit you and told you to put it on. Mine was too small, my wife’s was way to large. She didn’t have enough weight to get down, they tried to tell her to get out but I made them add weight while she was in the water. You are taken on a guided tour around a coral formation then back to the anchor line and in the boat. We had a bottom time of 23 minutes, had 1700 psi in my tank.
Our second dive was with Scuba Cancun. Very nice people. They explained more to us, answered questions better. It’s kind of hard to compare them because the second dive was in Cozumel but the service was allot better. When we arrived in Cozumel our group was split. There were only 6 divers and the guide on the boat. Smaller boat but friendlier atmosphere. The guide just told us to stay in site of him but we could go wherever we wanted. The first dive was at Santa Rosa wall. 95 feet and full of life. I would definaetly go back with this company. When you came to the surface the boat came to you. They took your weight belt and tank before you got out of the water. Very nice people definetly an A for effort.

That would be the free dive with your package Ken?

Sorry to here your tale from Moon Palace but regrettably it is all too common - once you get into a AI they don't want you to leave - and you have to put up with what they offer. Aquaworld has a very bad reputation in this area and as I've said before they churn people through to get the dollars and don't care if you don't come back.

Small operators care that you come back - we survive on good word of mouth and return business.

Please please scuba board divers if you are coming to the Riviera Maya let us help you ... if you don't necessarily want to dive with us in Puerto Morelos (we are only 15 mins from Moon Palace and Mayan Palace) I can tell you about other operators for the area you are in .

If you are going into an all inclusive be aware that the dive shop is not necessarily the best for the area you are in let alone the best priced not even necessarily carrying good gear ...I could go on but also be aware that some of the deals say - one free dive with your package - you will get the experience above that Ken had - I mean it doesn't say you'll have a good dive does it?

cat
Puerto Morelos

In an attempt to be cautious on how I say this. . . Aquaworld is the biggest operation in Cancun. Period. They also have the biggest volume of customers. They move a large amount of people through their doors. Do they pay enough attention to you? That has been debated both on this board and in Cancun. Ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers. Does that mean they do not have good instructors? Absolutely not. In fact, because of a schedule conflict I wound up paying a few extra bucks and had private classes. He was great. He is no longer with the company but we stay in tocuh and I use him whenever possible. Have I seen problems with overcrowding in their operation? Yes. But as CATBROWN mentioned the smaller shops such as hers does not have the volume of people Aquaworld does. They all have the same ability to dive the same sites. So in order to survive, what gives the smaller shops an edge is personal attention. Where they know your name and you are not just another number. They go out of their way to accommodate you. To make your dives enjoyable. They try and get you to the dive sites YOU want rather than a take it or leave it schedule Aquaworld throws at you. And hopefully you will go home and post nice things about them on boards such as this. Maybe recommend their service to diving buddies. Or better yet, use them again next time you return. They don't have the advertising budget Aquaworld does so their key is by word of mouth. And you don't get that with bad service. Some of the AI dive ops are their because they are providing the service cheaper to the hotel than any other dive op. That means less pay to the instructors and divemasters, cutting corners wherever possible and doing the very least possible while still providing the service to the guest. I'd gladly pay the extra few bucks not only for the peace of mind feeling safer but I always root for the underdog and prefer giving my business to a Mom and Pop business before a big corporation. I have not had an opportunity to dive with CATBROWN yet but we will be in the area in a few weeks. If I do get the chance I will post a review afterwards.

Scott Riemer:

I haven't seen too much posted on manta divers so seeing as i just got back from cancun and dove with them i will give you my 2 cents.the shop is owned by a texas couple john+mimi they seem like nice people but seem fustrated on running a buisness in mexico.the 1st time i went out with them(apr 6 2004)they were 25 mins late picking me up at my hotel the 2nd day(apr 7th 2004)pepe their cozumel guide was 1/2 hr late.so on my 3rd day (apr 8th 2004)i decided that since they were late both of the other days i would meet them at 8:30 and not go to the lobby early+sit around for 45mins or so,well I waited until 9:00 in the lobby and no one showed or left a message with my room so i caught a cab down to thier shop.I missed the boat.I was dissapointed at first but john was accomodating and i re-scheduled for sat.this worked out in the end as my girlfreind had a bout of montezumas revenge and felt good enough to dive sat.their shop is right by the harbour and doesn't take long to get to the reefs.alex our dive master was excellent!he let us have a longer bottom than usual+went out of his way to find the critters(lobsters,rockfish,etc)they do have some issues with their boat on my last day diving with them the engine crapped out+leaked diesel all over+we had to get towed in.
bottom line:would i use this dive op again?sure,they were friendly+courteous and after they got my girlfriend and i's cash they didn't treat us poorly as i have heard aqua-world does.i wouldn't rely on being picked up though.the prices are reasonable+the equipment is in good shape.Be sure to book directly through them as some poor dude showed up at their shop with a receipt some guy wrote up at a kiosk in a mall.john knew nothing of his booking+the guy might have been S.O.L.not sure how it worked out but i wouldn,t want to be in his sandals.

Hello Cat,
Read your offer to help w/dive operators...I am in Mexico at least 3 times a year, and end up with hotel dive ops since locals dive ops don't pick up/drop off (except in Cozumel, where they are most accomodating).
I will be at the Moon Palace Dec 7th-13th, if you or another operator will pick up/drop off I'm yours...I dive ALOT, so you can count on at least 10 tanks from me.
Thanks!
Sandi aka PadiGirl

catbrown:
That would be the free dive with your package Ken?

Sorry to here your tale from Moon Palace but regrettably it is all too common - once you get into a AI they don't want you to leave - and you have to put up with what they offer. Aquaworld has a very bad reputation in this area and as I've said before they churn people through to get the dollars and don't care if you don't come back.

Small operators care that you come back - we survive on good word of mouth and return business.

Please please scuba board divers if you are coming to the Riviera Maya let us help you ... if you don't necessarily want to dive with us in Puerto Morelos (we are only 15 mins from Moon Palace and Mayan Palace) I can tell you about other operators for the area you are in .

If you are going into an all inclusive be aware that the dive shop is not necessarily the best for the area you are in let alone the best priced not even necessarily carrying good gear ...I could go on but also be aware that some of the deals say - one free dive with your package - you will get the experience above that Ken had - I mean it doesn't say you'll have a good dive does it?

cat
Puerto Morelos

PadiGirl:
Hello Cat,
Read your offer to help w/dive operators...I am in Mexico at least 3 times a year, and end up with hotel dive ops since locals dive ops don't pick up/drop off (except in Cozumel, where they are most accomodating).
I will be at the Moon Palace Dec 7th-13th, if you or another operator will pick up/drop off I'm yours...I dive ALOT, so you can count on at least 10 tanks from me.
Thanks!
Sandi aka PadiGirl

I hope you have fun at Moon Palace. I was there in April and had a blast.

PadiGirl:
Hello Cat,
Thanks!
Sandi aka PadiGirl
I just returned from the Riveria Maya. I dove with Pro-Tec out of Playa Del Carmen. Picked me up at the resort. Took me down to Akumal to dive............much better reefs than the northern ones. Also did some caving with them. Best news is that even being picked up, and having a "personal" dive master (my friend only did one days diving) the cost was only $65 for air add $15 for Nitrox. This is for a two tank boat dive. The cost at the resort was $85 for a two tank dive, no nitrox. Pro Tec is very accomidating, rebreather friendly, and have some great cave instructors.
Later,
DC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom