Cancun trip report: Snorkeling with Whale Sharks and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We got into Cancun on Friday and called Ben with Mayan Aqua dive. He confirmed he would pick up us at our hotel at 7:30a for our Whale Shark trip.

The weather was great. It was hot, but there was a nice breeze blowing so, for us, it was bearable. Not as hot as North Texas has been.

Ben picked us up right on time and 5 minutes later we were at Punta Juarez and the marina. He had juice boxes, bananas, and some kind of bread. It wasn't just his group, but his and another group so we split into two groups of 8 and took off for Isla Contoy. We pulled up just North of the island and started looking. The weather was still beautiful. A mild breeze, seas where flat to rolling a little, and sunny. We spotted our first shark and jumped two at a time with a guide. No more than 3 in the water at a time. Vis is 15-20 feet at best, but if it were better the sharks wouldn't be there. They are eating much of what is mucking up the vis. We back roll off the boat directly in line with the path the shark is taking and let it swim to us. The first one is a cooperative 25ft (8m) shark. The goal is to turn and swim along side the fish as it cruises past. I missed that the first time, but got it the others. Everyone got to make 3 or 4 jumps with the first one when we saw a much bigger shark. We cruised over to that one and it isn't playing nicely.

It keeps dropping down and is swimming a little faster.

It still looks like it isn't putting forth any effort. We, however, are kicking like mad. Everyone still made 2-3 attempts with this one. I got a really good picture of it's marking tag. I'll post it later. It's hard to take pictures while kicking that hard to keep up.

We saw two more and made a couple drops on one of them. From there we went snorkeling on a shallow reef and were treated to really fresh cevichi (YUMMY!). Sandwiches, drinks, snacks, all provided. Well worth the trip.

Sunday we went diving. The first site was a reef called San Toribio. It's in 55 feet of water and I managed a 47 minute dive. I saw what was easily the biggest balloon fish I have ever seen. Almost the size of a soccer ball. Very different reef structure from Coz. I was disappointed to watch someone catch and handle a juvenile smooth trunk fish. It didn't appear harmed, but I still believe in not touching the fish. (Unless I'm putting a spring steel shaft through it with the intention of it ending up on my dinner plate) Saw a nice size hog fish too.

The second was Horseshoes. Again about 50-55 feet. At 46 minutes we ran out of reef. The weather was great. The wind had died and it really got hot. Currents were light, but made it easy to relax and enjoy the dives. Lots of snapper, grunts, pork fish, a few grouper, and a few lobster. Took pictures of some morays and other stuff. I'll post those later. I'm working on composition so I really didn't shoot a whole lot. I got way behind on the second dive at one point and it was just me and the DM. Ben and his crew did very well. I enjoyed diving with them and would go back.

I would highly recommend the Whale Shark tour.

TwoBit

Wow! The Whale Shark trip sounds awesome!! Very cool. I'm putting that on my list of future things to do. Nice report, glad you had a good trip.

Rhonda

Tagged.jpg

This was the tag on the big one. He was about 35 feet long.

Feeding.jpg

Feeding time.

Swimmingalongside.jpg

I think this was the first one. The smaller of three.

Nice report, Two Bit. Keep us posted!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom