Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel, Akumal, Isla Mujeres, Holbox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of options. But why "base yourself"? Why not move on through two or three centres? Yes you will need to "haul gear" but not as much as bussing backwards and forwards. We did three centres and had a really good time - did ruins, cenotes, diving and whalesharks.

If you do the whaleshark trips there are important questions to ask of whoever is organising it. You can get stung! See my previous thread. But ask how long the boat trips last, how many swims with the whalesharks you are allowed (yes, some of them ration you), how many people on the boat (beware the day trips from Cancun filling them up), who the people on the boat will be (beware the non-swimming, non-diving, non-boat, very sea-sick day trippers from Cancun), what is the min number they go out with (you don't have time to be cancelled). Be aware that finding whalesharks may need the boat to go out a long way - will they turn back before they have found whalesharks? And what about food?

Good examples are Casa las Tortugas and Mawimbi (small neighbouring hotels) on Holbox. If they didn't have many people they would combine from the two, so no-one was disappointed.

Enjoy!

If you are travelling with family and they just want to relax I suspect that an all inclusive is what you need. If you are the only diver then you need to make a decision as to priorities. The whale shark excursions are not relaxing. They can be rushed and quite exhausting and may not be ideal for someone older. The whale shark tours are not a 'dive' but a snorkel excursion. If the whale shark trip is a must for you then Cancun may be your better option but I still think you will be gone 'all day', but you will get back earlier than being in Playa del Carmen. If you want to focus more on diving then staying in Playa del Carmen is a better choice. You can do several days of 2-tank boat dives and be back each day by lunch. The cenotes will be a longer day but easily back by late afternoon or sooner. This also gives you the option of a day trip to Coz should you feel so inclined. When picking an AI there are several choices in PDC and Playacar. There are plenty also with a short taxi or shuttle ride as well. It's hard to give you more specifics until you decide on an area - Cancun or PDC. I am partial towards PDC as it is closer to the cenotes, Coz, and just 'better diving' than Cancun.

I'm also traveling to Cancun with family who are not divers. Wife and a little boy. I really want to find a balance between good diving, personal experience (not resort) and quality time with the loved ones. I'll be staying in Cancun so a long trip is out of the question. Any advice? So far I've heard of Solo Buceo and Scorpio Divers. DOn't mind if it's a small company, actually the less divers on the trip the better. Many thanks.

I think Cozumel is not an option. Nice island with nice diving but you can add easily 3 hours on any cenote dive trip because of the ferry. Also the Cozumel diving is at least 3/4 day.
Playa del Carmen is most probably the best option for you and your mom. Trip to the cenotes…1/2 day, diving in Playa…1/2 day, diving in Cozumel…full day.
You can choose one of the mega big resorts and go with the dive operator in the hotel. That would be the easiest and fastest way to dive.
Maybe you prefer a more personalized service in small groups then check this out.
We are a small dive operation in Playa del Carmen and we organize personalized dive trips in small groups.

See u in Playa

Anna & Dirk

Back
Top Bottom