Cancun or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last May my Dive buddy traveled with our wives who are Non-divers. Here's what we did and all were happy. We stayed at Moon Palace which is south of Cancun (so you're not in the heart of the hotel zone) but still close enough to get there. We were just north of Puerto Morelos so we did some diving there. We were also closer to Playa Del Carmen, so we took the ferry to Cozumel one day and did some diving there. Like I said, divers were happy and the wives were happy! So happy in fact, we're going back in a month!

I spent a day in Cancun because on my last Cozumel trip I had to take an early morning flight out of CUN airport. Hey, I got a good deal < $200 round trip.

Never again. No offence to Mark, but you couldn't pay me to go to Cancun again. Unless part of the bargain is to take 20 years off of me, then a remote maybe....

James

Cancun is not bad diving. I go down to Cancun for a week and my first dives are in Cancun (Sunday) and I then try to wander down to Akumal (Monday). Akumal is nice because it is very laid back and your non-diving spouse can hang out on the beach and have a couple of Margaritas.

I head back to Cancun that nite. I then go back to PDC for a ferry ride over to COZ where we dive 2 tanks. This is a 12 hour excursion. We were thinking of just spending the note in COZ and picking up the morning dives the next day and then heading back to Cancun The down side to this is the added costs of another hotel room.

Just my 2 cents

I am the only diver in the family. My wife likes to snorkel a bit, but otherwise wants to hang out at the beach, look for interesting restaurants, and escape from the "real world." My 20-year old daughter, a sophomore at a southern California university, wants to hang out, tan, eat some great seafood, and drink what tequila her parents will permit.

We spent 10 nights during the Xmas vacation 2004 in Cancun and then Cozumel. Actually, my wife added Coz for the last 5 nights as a sop to me for diving.

The net result was nobody wants to go back to Cancun, and everybody wants to go back to Coz. We stayed at the El Presidente, which is probably the best hotel on the island, about 4 miles south of the main town. We cabbed it into town every night for dinner a a variety of restaurants and enjoyed it a lot. The diving is, of course, great.

The strip in Cancun is like Mexico's version of Las Vegas, without gambling. I have no desire to go back. Coz here we come!

Back
Top Bottom