Cancun or Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPJ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I am looking at a trip to Cozumel or Cancun in April or May. I will be traveling with a non-diving spouse. Which offers more activities for the non-diver? I have heard about the diving in Cozumel, what is it like in Cancun? What are the water tempratures currently?

Diving is better in Cozumel.

Cancun diving is mostly shallow reefs, with lots of marine life. The reefs are nice, but aren't the massive coral formations you see in Cozumel. Were it not so close to Cozumel, it would be get more respect as a dive destination.

Cancun is much higher density, more urban atmosphere, and very Americanized. Cozumel is a bit more laid back, even with the high level of cruise ship traffic now going there.

If your spouse is happy to lounge around the pool and beach, then definitely go to Cozumel.

I would also agree with Cozumel as to the fact that I just got back from there yesterday. Made two dives off of paradise reef and it was amazing. But hey if your spouse really likes to party then Cancuns the place but for diving definetly Cozumel.

Is Cancun still a high traffic spring break location? That might help you make your decision if you don't want to be surrounded by drunken teenagers.

By the time I get there, Spring Break should be over.

Spring break has died in Cancun thank god, MTV has moved on to Acapulco and although it is still a high season, it is not a "high" season like it was in years past.

The infrastructure in Cancun is at an international level. Cozumel is more laid back but the wall diving is impressive. The reefs in Cancun have more marine life than Coz.

Playa del carmen is perhaps a good option too. loads of things to do and just a ferry ride away from Cozumel diving.

Cancun is a sun-bathing party place that has some diving.
Cozumel is a diving destination.

Wristshot

Coz, Coz, Coz...is there any diving in Cancun?

Cancun may not be of the advanced caliber of Cozumel,but a ND spouse will be happier allowing for more diving.

Back
Top Bottom