Cancun--Feb 16, 2003

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phlyfisher

Reaction score
I will be spending 11 days in Cancun with a friend, who has a time share, the 2nd half of February. I have never been to Mexico before, and this will be my first time diving. I am hoping to take the initial part of a certification course locally and do the open water diving during this vacation. Is this a reasonable approach? I have my own mask/snorkel/fins but no other equipment. Will I need to ferry over to Cozumel? It sounds like the diving in Cancun is so-so. Any other recommendations?

Thanks.

It sounds like you already have all the right information.
Yes, you can do the class and pool sessions locally, and then just do your checkout dives in either Cancun or Cozumel. Try to arrange it in advance.
You already have enough gear. You can rent the rest.
Definitely ferry over to Cozumel, the diving is worth it.
My first dives were in Cancun, they were great. Cozumel is much better. Cancun if you want the beach, Cozumel if you want the diving. Have you thought about staying overnight in Cozumel? There are many inexpensive hotels with dive shops on site. You can do your first set of checkout dives, then have dinner at Prima. The next day you can finish your certification, dive some more, grab some fajitas at Ernesto's, and then head back to party in Cancun! That only takes up two days of your eleven. Oooh the possibilities!!!:shades:

TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!

My husband did it that way but I was certified at home before going. My husband ended up paying double what I paid and I don't think he had the same quality of instruction as I did.
We stayed near Cancun and due to weather, had to go to Cozumel for his dives. Cozumel is more protected so you can almost always dive even when the port is closed in Playa del Carmen.
We recently went and stayed in Cozumel and were much happier with the diving. However, as new divers, we were very happy diving around Playa del Carmen area also.
We hope to go again this winter and will definitely stay in Cozumel.
Good luck and have a great time!!
Barb:)

If you dont' want to make the trek over to Cozumel you can definitely do your OW Certs in Playa. There are plenty of dive ops in that area but I highly recommend doing it with Abyss. They are reasonably priced and have a great staff.
www.abyssdiveshop.com I've dove with them in the past while in Playa and had a GREAT time. Small boats, great dive masters, and The Blue Parrot bar is right next door so theres always cold cerveza's waiting :) But- you should try to go to Coz- Its worth the ferry ride!

Have a great trip- I'll be in Coz/Playa Feb20th!

I have seen people comment that the level of training received abroad was not as good as the training in the US. I believe that although location and agency affiliation may have an effect to some degree, the quality of training you receive has to do with your instructor. Fortunately I have been going to Cancun twice a year for over 10 years now. I have made many friends and was able to have one of the better instructors give me 1 on 1 instruction. Paying a little extra allowed me to customize my schedule around other activities. I spent the same amount of pool & classroom time as a traditional class but it was accommodating to my schedule. In fact, I paid for a cab to take equipment to and from his facility, he trained me right in our hotel pool. Visibility and temperature made the dives enjoyable. So getting back to your post, you can receive top notch education without interrupting your existing vacation plans and complete your open water dives right in Cancun. And for a couple extra bucks can be done without making you miss your other activities. I was very comfortable and pleased with my instructor and training I received.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom