Cancun: Cozumel or other diving with tight times?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

resnick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I have a work conference in Cancun starting on Sunday night, May 4. I'd like to get some diving in, preferably in Cozumel, but the earliest I'm going to make it down to Mexico is Friday evening into Cancun, arriving either at 5:20pm or 8:00pm. (Flights into CZM just don't work.) I want to maximize dive time on Saturday and Sunday and I'm looking for recommendations:

- Should I (and can I) make my way to Cozumel on Saturday night by plane or ferry, or should I check into the hotel in Cancun and go to Cozumel on Saturday morning?

- Is it sane to "commute" to Cozumel by ferry, going each morning and coming back to Cancun each night, or should I just bite the bullet and get a room on Cozumel for Saturday night?

- Is there somewhere other than Cozumel that I could dive that would make this any less loony? I've been in Cozumel once, and the diving was lovely, but I'm open to other ideas.

- Are there ops that do afternoon dives on Saturday and Sunday, and night dives on Saturday, such that I can get in as much underwater time as possible?

- Are there ops who will help assist in this craziness that I'm looking to do to myself?

Your recommendations (including local insane asylums) would be greatly appreciated.

There is no ferry that goes from Cancun to Cozumel, you will have to go to Playa Del Carmen to catch a ferry, it is about a 1 to 1 1/2 hour drive then about a 45 minute boat ride to Cozumel so you are 2 to 2 1/2 hours each way so I think would stay on Cozumel. I have never stayed or dove in Cancun so I'm sorry but I cant help you with that.

I would head directly to Cozumel, do not pass Go. Skip the whole work thing and dive, dive, dive :). Seriously, I would bite the bullet and get an inexpensive room in Cozumel for both Friday and Saturday night. The commute time on Saturday morning would not make me a happy camper, but that's just me.

I have dove in Cancun, Akumal and Cozumel. Cozumel is my absolute favorite. My last trip to Cozumel was crazy, we had no place to stay or dives scheduled (long story). I can't say enough about my experience with Cabillito del Caribe (Sea Horse). The dive shop is a very small operation but was able to provide everything we needed on the spot, including assisting us with accommodations. We were able to dive both morning and afternoons with our guide, Carlos. Our trip was interesting, unplanned and most importantly...unforgettable.

Another option would be shore diving at Scuba Club Cozumel, no appointment needed.

OK, sounds like ferrying back and forth is loony. I'll definitely be staying over Saturday night. I'll have to ferry back after diving on Sunday, since getting on a plane to make it back to Cancun for Sunday night dinner would be a "bad plan".

So, last question: if I take Mayair, can I fly from Cancun to Cozumel on Saturday morning and be picked up at the airport in time to dive? Again, are there any dive ops who would be open to this sort of craziness?

If you can make it to Cancun on Friday evening, here is what I would do: take the ADO Bus to Playa on Friday evening. Pre-arrange a cheap hotel near the ferry pier (Expedia) and take the first AM ferry over, it should arrive in Cozumel @ 07:45 AM. You might make it in time for the last evening ferry but why stress over it, relax and prepare for the dive day in the AM, go with the sure thing and relax for the evening near the Playa pier. Pre-arrange a dive with a boutique dive operator in CZM and pre-check in over the internet so there is minimal delay on arrival and that way they can have any gear you need set up on the boat (shameless cheerleading aside, I would suggest Tres Pelicanos). They should have everything setup for you for to get a ride from the pier to the Caleta and get a two tank dive day in (the dive op should be able to store your luggage while diving). Repeat in the afternoon / evening. Get a local hotel for Saturday (Bahia?) and repeat diving on Sunday morning, then head back over to Cancun, via Playa and the ADO.
1st alternate check Maya Air’s schedule and if that works and if your luggage is less than 43lbS, commute from CUN to CZM.

Good decision on the ferry shuttle. I am unaware of ANY dive ops which pick up at the airport. The ferry lands smack dab in town so I think your better choice is to find an OP that picks up divers in town. That is a handful. The Cozumel sub forum might help you in this regard.
OK, sounds like ferrying back and forth is loony.

So, last question: if I take Mayair, can I fly from Cancun to Cozumel on Saturday morning and be picked up at the airport in time to dive? Again, are there any dive ops who would be open to this sort of craziness?

The only other idea I have is to dive the park at Puerto Morelos. You can get your dives in without having to take the ferry over to Coz and grabbing a hotel room for 2 nights.

My choice would be to get to CUN as fast as possible Friday and hop the ferry to Coz. Do 4 dives on Saturday and 2 Sunday morning. Casa del Mar has some pretty good prepaid room rates and an onsite dive op. Stayed there before without a problem. Check with the dive op to make sure that they will be running the afternoon dives. Highly recommend the evening dives. If not then Blue Angle is another good alternative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom