Canadian struck by barracuda in Jamaica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was having quite a bit of trouble figuring out what kind of dreds-do that young fellow was wearing . . .he he.

Not to me. It almost sounds like someone who isn't even a certified diver.

I think this makes an excellent point. On a shore dive, in 45 feet of water, and out of air? How were they expecting to get back to shore? Was this a divemaster lead dive, and if so, why weren't they checking air consumption.

No pun intended, but this one smells fishy.

Perhaps we can cut the guy some slack. He'd just had his head mangled by a barracuda. Might have huffed his air, might have had a bite out of his hose, might have bit off his own mouthpiece, might have been a might shocky and confused. :)

I think this makes an excellent point. On a shore dive, in 45 feet of water, and out of air? How were they expecting to get back to shore? Was this a divemaster lead dive, and if so, why weren't they checking air consumption.

No pun intended, but this one smells fishy.

Can we get this thread back on track about barracuda behavior and possible attacks on divers? :D

Now THIS little buggar stranded itself on a sandbar in our supply canal for the shrimp farm. I figure he must have made a dash for a small fish and misjudged the depth. Anyway, he couldn't move and we saw his fins sticking up from the water. Jake and Tino swam over to it, climbed on its back to hold it down and stabbed it in the head with a kitchen knife.
About a week before Jake saw it by one of the cement inlet pipes to a pond. He poked it with a piece of rebar and it swam off....but quicky turned, came back and BIT the rebar. hah. He could do some serious damage with a bite to your head, arm, leg....Look at the size of its head. Jake is about 5'8".
We ate this one and the meat was gray colored...like a chub. Maybe from growing up in our canal eating whatever fish got pumped in. All the other ones I've eaten had white meat. Very good eating.

IMG_0017_zpsee497183.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
They're curious but if you move towards them, they swim off and maintain their distance.

Usually, but not always. This is a terrible picture that I took in Belize since the camera was accidentally on auto for some of that dive, but you can see the barracuda's teeth. I was getting in closer to get a pic of the barracuda and it suddenly showed it's teeth. I learned how to backfin real fast.

Belize - Barracuda.jpg

Usually, but not always. This is a terrible picture that I took in Belize since the camera was accidentally on auto for some of that dive, but you can see the barracuda's teeth. I was getting in closer to get a pic of the barracuda and it suddenly showed it's teeth. I learned how to backfin real fast.

View attachment 155288

It's hard for barracuda to hide their teeth.
But you see the darker colors on its back? I find them laying on the bottom displaying the darker colors and have shot more than a few like this. When I gut them minutes later there is always a fairly fresh fish in the stomach. It seems that after the eat they like to lay on the bottom for while and digest.

View attachment 155288

Just trying to give you the best shot of his toothy grin.

Last edited:
I've had cudas shadow me which early on I found unnerving. I realized they were using me to hide from their intended targets when they struck (unbelievably fast) and hit fish in front of me. I was cuda camo. Since then I have never worried about being attacked by one. I figure they are not "hunting" me, just using me to hunt. That said I would NEVER wear anything that could flash in the light! I may be dense but prefer to think I'm not totally stupid. If you avoid wearing the flashy stuff and don't "get in their face" I'd say your odds of getting nailed by one are virtually nil. PS virtually nil is not as good as zero :wink:. If you want to stay up for scary stories though google barracuda attacks. They are actually more prevalent than I would have thought. Still, given how many divers have had no issues the odds are still incredibly low of getting hit by one if you use a bit of common sense.

I've had cudas shadow me which early on I found unnerving. I realized they were using me to hide from their intended targets when they struck (unbelievably fast) and hit fish in front of me. I was cuda camo. Since then I have never worried about being attacked by one. I figure they are not "hunting" me, just using me to hunt. That said I would NEVER wear anything that could flash in the light! I may be dense but prefer to think I'm not totally stupid. If you avoid wearing the flashy stuff and don't "get in their face" I'd say your odds of getting nailed by one are virtually nil. PS virtually nil is not as good as zero :wink:. If you want to stay up for scary stories though google barracuda attacks. They are actually more prevalent than I would have thought. Still, given how many divers have had no issues the odds are still incredibly low of getting hit by one if you use a bit of common sense.

Are Canadians attacked by Barracudas to an extent that exceeds the statistical expectation based on the percentage of Canadian divers encountering that toothy fish? Does this have anything to do with farsidefan1's 'bit of common sense' comment? Should DMs leading a group of divers that includes some Canadians extend extra care and observation over them, lest they provoke a Barracuda? I assume there must be some sort of connection going all the back to the OP. Otherwise why was the fact that they are Canadians even mentioned? Are there many Canadians who have never been attacked by a Barracuda?

Are Canadians attacked by Barracudas to an extent that exceeds the statistical expectation based on the percentage of Canadian divers encountering that toothy fish? Does this have anything to do with farsidefan1's 'bit of common sense' comment? Should DMs leading a group of divers that includes some Canadians extend extra care and observation over them, lest they provoke a Barracuda? I assume there must be some sort of connection going all the back to the OP. Otherwise why was the fact that they are Canadians even mentioned? Are there many Canadians who have never been attacked by a Barracuda?

I think the smart thing for a dive operator to do do is to ensure at least one diver in a large group is a Canadian to draw the cuda away from the other divers.

Back
Top Bottom