Can you tell me about Spearit Dive Charter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyuthefearless

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My Buddy and I were booked with Cape Fear for Friday the 24th but the dive may be cancelled because there are not enough divers to fill the charter. It was suggested that we try Spearit. What kind of experience have you had with them?

I have not been on a charter with him, but he has been an upstanding guy in the dealings I have had with him and has a solid reputation in NC.

As for the post mentioned above, I have not bothered to read much beyond the initial post, but my opinion is that NC wreck diving is different. It is not the calm water hand holding, do everything for you kind of diving you often get elsewhere. It is often 2-3 hour boat rides in 5-6 ft seas where lots of people end up making one or more trips to the rail and where crew can get tense as they are in fact trying to do something difficult in a small boat 20-30 miles offshore in large seas where the weather can go south in a hurry. I cut them some slack when/if they are temporarily lacking in charm.

When NC wreck diving is good it is absolutely, phenomenally, unforgettably epic. EPIC, world class diving that has no equal. When it is bad, it a long puky boat ride to a low viz dive site looking forward to the opportunity to get hurt if you are not careful trying to get back aboard by cathing a ladder pitching through perhaps an 8 or 9 ft arc (and frankly I dig doing that as well) followed by another 2-3 hour puky boat ride back to the dock.

If that does not appeal to a diver they need to just admit it and then stay in the Carribean or the Florida keys rather than posting complaints on Scubaboard.

They also maybe want to be familiar with things like uplines as if the boat comes loose and drifts away the diver can always tie an upline to the wreck and when the boat discovers them imissing, the captain will still have the numbers for the wreck and that is where they will start the search - and they will find you immediately as that is where you will still be on the surface. I don't have a lot of sympathy for divers who sign on for dives they are not yet ready to make and who do not have plans for the things that can commonly go wrong.

If you have doubts about being ready, discuss it with the captain, determine what the plan is and what the expected wrecks, depths and conditions will be. And remember that once on site, if you are not comfortable with the demands of the dive, it is ultimately your responsibility to opt to stay on board.

Captain Tom Collins of Spearit Charters runs a top notch six pack operation. I would be surprised if you can even get a spot on his boat with this short notice.

GD 69, I can't believe you dug that whiney internet smear attempt up. If you read it to the end, Spearit Charters comes out looking great and the complaining diver is totally discredited.

Tom has a very loyal following and is very well respected around these parts.

Captain Tom Collins of Spearit Charters runs a top notch six pack operation. I would be surprised if you can even get a spot on his boat with this short notice.

GD 69, I can't believe you dug that whiney internet smear attempt up. If you read it to the end, Spearit Charters comes out looking great and the complaining diver is totally discredited.

Tom has a very loyal following and is very well respected around these parts.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

SpearIT is a first class op. It's big kid diving, as is almost everything in NC. No one has a better reputation for putting divers on teeth, and they have been stand up people during my dealings with them.

AquaticSafaris.com is in the area as well, and they are a great big boat op (vs a six-pack).

I'd dive with either of them (spearit or aquatic safaris) without a second thought.

edit - oops, too late to help for Friday. I hope you found a spot on a boat and had a great trip.

Last edited:
I have been on this dive op , first remember its a six pack which means one thing, its a small boat in a large ocean , sea's above 3 feet mean rough ride , second he has everything he needs to run a dive op so that means yes he has saftey gear on board , no head well that normal for smaller boats, cannot comment on GD69 post but i find it hard to believe went that way . in a six pack boat you aren't on a 40 plus foot boat, second north Carolina isn't the Cozumel type dive . typically 2-3 hrs boat ride some rough rides , sea's change quickly in NC.

Thanks for all the replys. I was able to go with Cape Fear after all. Just had to go on Saturday instead. But I will keep your advice in mind.

Thanks for all the replys. I was able to go with Cape Fear after all. Just had to go on Saturday instead. But I will keep your advice in mind.

just keep in mind its a lot smaller boat .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom