Can you take still shots with a GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cayal

Contributor
Reaction score
Would like to take some still shots with my GoPro. I don't have the Hero2 I have the one below it, it still takes HD video (so I guess the one above the 960 or whatever it is).

Anyway, is it possible? I went diving the other day and tried to take some stills from iMovie but they don't come out to good. Does the GoPro photo images come out better?

Yes you can and they will be vastly better than frame captures from video.

And, if you don't want to be hassled by pressing the shutter, you could just put it in timelapse mode and pick out the shots you want later.

In low light however, don't use less than a 2 second timelapse interval.

In low light however, don't use less than a 2 second timelapse interval.

My next question was going to be what would be a good setting for it? I was thinking 3 or 5.

Also how big are the photos generally? Just wondering how much space they'll take up on my Memory Card.

Mine are 3840x2880 and an average of 6.2MB each.

And the quality is good? How many seconds do you normally set for photos? Do you find it fills up your memory card during a dive or 2?

Sorry for so many questions.

At 2 second intervals, that's about 11GB per hour so you will want to use a 32GB card if you will be doing 2 dives. (Comparatively, video would be in the range of 7.5GB per hour.) I probably wouldn't go longer than 2 second intervals simply because fish generally won't pose for any longer than that.

Quality is ok. Too much fish eye in my opinion. Actually I just started a new thread called "My Light Build", all the photos I took are with the Hero2.

Hmm I thought it was possible to film AND take photos at the same time.

Oh well, I'll work it out. Or get a second GoPro, lol.

Personally I just use the stills from my video. I simply scroll to a decent part, and then use Media Player Classic to save the snapshot. Works for me! I suppose once you've got the Hero2 the stills would be much better than video snapshots, but on the normal Hero it's not worth yanking my camera off my head and switching to photo mode...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom