Can you suggest a first dive camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beaufort

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been diving 4 months, 41 dives, primarily NC wrecks. Looking for a quality durable camera for NC wreck diving. I don't want to be an underwater photographer yet. I'd like a camera reasonably small and simple that I can clip to my bc and not know it's there until i see a photo opp. Willing to spend about $500, but less $ would be great. I appreciate the help.

I've been diving 4 months, 41 dives, primarily NC wrecks. Looking for a quality durable camera for NC wreck diving. I don't want to be an underwater photographer yet. I'd like a camera reasonably small and simple that I can clip to my bc and not know it's there until i see a photo opp. Willing to spend about $500, but less $ would be great. I appreciate the help.

Sea and Sea 1200 HD is a good start that can be upgraded later with strobe etc... and can be used outside ...

You have (too) many options ...
- Getting a small and cheap, previous generation P&S from Canon (SD880, ...) + case should get you below 400$
- the olympus waterproof/shock proof series also with housing should still be below 500$. The tough8000 is a really really cool device.
- The Panasonic ZS3 is an excellent choice (check what it can achieve on this forum), but with the case may exceed the 500$. I may get it ;-)

The dedicated scuba cameras (sea and sea, sealife, bonica and others ) are built for diving, but are overall lower quality than Canon and other brands (why I'm sure it is relative and not everyone would agree)

it is good to get one you will use as often outside water as UW.
Getting a P&S where you can adjust WB, and boost colors is a plus (Canon P&S are superior from this point of view, however, the olympus provide several mode for underwater, and are providing very good picture underwater.

I would avoid the intova 'cheap versions'. They are mostly not fast enough, and also are below in quality vs the 'known brands'.

You will then think quick video snapshot underwater, and S&S 1200 and Panasonic are very friendly for that matter (and offer HD).

An olympus tough 6000, + case, + strobe (basic external one, like intova iss2000) may still be below 500$, and would certainly give a cool set up with the possibility to use the camera outside all the time and in all environment

camera's have multiple u/w modes (blue/green water, river), can be used on land, 8 or 10 mp can be upgraded to single or double strobes. Most importantly the support is fantastic. If you take any camera under water often enough it becomes not if it leaks but when. Sea Life has always had great customer support, not to say the others don't, just that I personally have no experience with them.

I was faced with the same question as you. Decided to look into waterproof compact cameras, as extra insurance against a leaky O-ring, etc. and also because they can be used for sailing, white water rafting and other such sports. Panasonic, Canon and Olympus offer wp compacts and after some research on the Internet I decided to go for the Olympus μ-8000 Tough. I am picking it up this afternoon (will still have to wait a couple of weeks for the PT-045 case). I will dive it this Sunday on a shallow wreck and will let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Sea and Sea 1200 HD is a good start that can be upgraded later with strobe etc... and can be used outside ...

Good start, indeed...plus the HD movie feature is a blast and you won't outgrow the camera after a few dives. However, for photographing in and around wrecks you will need a light source (strobe) right away. The internal flash is too impotent under water. The Intova ISS 2000 works well with the S&S HD1200 for around $150

Pretty much anything made by Canon - as a basic point and shoot underwater camera, I think Canon are by far and away the best. The Ixus and particularly the Powershot series are great and even the basic-mid range models have a great deal of functionality with the ability to adjust and compose photographs underwater. I bought my first model for what would have been $400 at the time plus underwater housing and memory cards etc etc. Good deal and it served me well, and taught me a lot.

Cheers

C.

Great advice above, but I think most missed some key words on your original post....

I've been diving 4 months, 41 dives, primarily NC wrecks. Looking for a quality durable camera for NC wreck diving...small and simple that I can clip to my bc and not know it's there until....

Wreck diving photography, with the kind of camera you are defining, can mean one of two things:

-Close-up flash photography of "fields" that are 2x3' and smaller

-More distant and wider angle perspective with available light

For the latter wide-angle shot, don't count on getting very much result. The camera must have a user specified custom white balance, but again- this really is not likely to work in many cases.

Where you can have some quick fun is with the first type of shot... close in, and lit with the on-board flash. The camera should have a macro capability.

Many of the previous posters have mentioned used gear- brilliant idea! You can get used "old fashioned and outdated" :crafty: 5 Meg cameras for nothing on eBay. Find your UW housing for it first! Olympus and Canon market their own "name brand" housings and they are a bargain when compared to the after-market guys.

I had the same desire for a low profile camera and grabbed an Olympus Stylus 500 and the PT-026 housing for a total of $130. Look at the pix http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4700103-post16.html (In shallow tropical waters)

Whether someday you will want/need a remote off-camera strobe system, no one can say, but that is a major leap in you areas of diving focus. Airline travel restrictions have made that more difficult each day. This would be a good start to see if you are interested.

I just recently upgraded to a Canon G10, but for a very specific reason- I still do not want off camera strobes- but I did want adjustable white balance. Not all that useful in NC, but when you get to clearer waters, there is some ambient light to play with. Adjustable white balance is a plus- in that very narrow arena.

But... the most telling phrase was:
I don't want to be an underwater photographer yet.

Then, by all means, don't take a camera underwater. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom